Nominations for 2018 BOD

Discussion in 'General Club Business' started by Coral reefer, Jul 5, 2017.

1. Coral reefer

Coral reefer President

Now is a great time to start the process of selecting (electing?) people to the 2018 BOD (board of directors, AKA suckers with big hearts) by pointing our digital fingers at people that we believe would be good for the club.
    I'll start by saying it doesn't necessarily take a lot of time to do any of the jobs, it's really all about what you want to make of it. If somebody with a lot of energy and time wants to really go above and beyond it can be awesome for the club... @Enderturtle was a great example of this, for a time. Unfortunately he flew too high and came crashing back to earth, and has yet to reappear. It is a lesson we have learned many times, apparently there is a limit to what any one person can give to the club. Having said that, it is important to realize that the more we can spread out the work amongst many people, the better the quality of work we will see, and the burden on any individual will be smaller.
    It has been great for me to watch lots of new members come into our fold over the last year or three, and I hope some of you will be comfortable enough, and feel a sense of wanting to give back, or needing to give back strongly enough to donate some of your time to keep the club running smoothly, and hopefully even improve it.
    If you think you might like to help out, this is a great time to investigate what happens and what needs to get done. We will be meeting this month to plan the regional frag swap. If you want to see what the board is all about attend that meeting. We can help you find a role, or if you know what you think you can contribute, even better.

The most obvious area of need currently is web support. We are under "staffed" pretty badly, and really need some more help. @denzil has kept us going mostly single handedly for several years now. He is the guy to ask about what we need help with.
    @tygunn has been helping out some, as well
    @Ashalye

@2manyhobbies is the best secretary ever, hopefully he doesn't get sick of us.

@mray2660 ia the best treasurer ever. Hopefully he finds it in his heart to keep taking pitty on us.

These two really know what they are doing and it's awesome. It would be great to have anybody that wants to learn these positions Join the board for a year ahead of time to see how it works. Maybe if anybody is an accountant, or somebody that can attend most of the 4 bod meetings per year that takes decent notes.

@Corallus did a good job getting donations for the members only swap. The regional swap will really put him to the test. It would be good to have a helper! What a chance to learn the ropes ahead of time...
    If you are willing to send out emails, letters, make calls, or do in person visits to current and potential sponsors about arranging donations for our raffles and lining up people to pick up said donations then you have what it takes. Great entry level job.

Future leaders of America! Errrr Bar I mean!
    We have created a future leader position the @Flagg37 was made the initial holder of. He really started getting some great experience by takin the reigns of the members only swap while your fearless leaders was begging Costco to give him our pizzas. Hopefully he is going to climb the next rung on the ladder and become Vice President. Or maybe skip a rung and vault right up to the big kahuna, the head honcho, the master of disaster, el presidente himself?
    Id like to see him and @tankguy, you current Vice President, who has been making all the events and meetings happen this year, fight it out in a steel cage match to see who gets the honored position.

If we can fill the next sucker up, I mean future leader position it would seem that I will be bumped off the totem pole, having started at the bottom in 2012 as the sponsorship chair...and that sounds not too bad to me. I like the club, like being part of the club, am still willing to help out as much as I can, but don't feel I have been giving enough of myself the last several months. The president needs to be proactive and kick people in the butt to keep them motivated to do their jobs, especially around now when everyone seems to lag a bit. They need to show up to as close to everything as they can and be a good club member, show new members what the club is about and how to be a good member. It helps if you are more friendly and outgoing than me...but being motivated and organized is much more important. What a minute...why am I the president again? I didn't describe myself at all for that role....

Nominate yourself, or anyone else that you think fits any of these roles, or just as a bod member in general, we can always assign them some hard labor if they don't know how to help.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2017
    Baykes likes this.
  2. Coral reefer

Coral reefer President

My phone died right after I finished that, but before I posted. Thank god it was still there. Not sure I would've had the heart to rewrite it.

I'll start the finger pointing.

@Bruce Spiegelman
    You're tank is nice enough, and you're on here enough...

@Gablami, so what if you have a younger kid than me!

@RandyC , you seem very into the hobby and to get what the club is all about

@roostertech , you think having meetings at your house is enough to satisfy us?!? Hah!

That's all my fingers for one hand...
    Do thumbs count? Alright...

@Vhuang168 , I know you're busy and can't make a lot of meetings, but maybe there is a way you can help.
    Fill the new swap coordinator position that @Enderturtle said he was going to fill right before he disappeared. You could try to convince people we should swap on sundays, or at least be the first to know which Saturday you have to try to get off.

That's all for now. Let's see what these people have to say for themselves and who else may start throwing stones in our beautiful glass palace we have here.

Second hand is jealous.

@Wlachnit , I bet you have some area of strength you could contribute in.

3. roostertech

roostertech Supporting Member

Handy guy that you could count on for crazy venture @coral4me

Newjack, coral4me and Coral reefer like this.
  4. Corallus

Corallus BAR Sponsorship Coordinator

I'm happy to continue what I'm doing, if no one else wants to give it a go!
    But like Mike says, if someone is interested, helping out with the upcoming swap would be an awesome way to get your feet wet - and see if it's something you'd like to do more of.

Coral reefer likes this.
  5. Bruce Spiegelman

Bruce Spiegelman Supporting Member

My tanks getting worse. No longer eligible.

Flagg37 likes this.
  6. Coral reefer

Coral reefer President

It was
    It was never a qualification, just a hidden compliment, but you responded. That means you're it. TAG!

7. ashburn2k

ashburn2k Supporting Member

What kind of web help do you need?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gablami likes this.
  8. Coral reefer

Coral reefer President

9. ashburn2k

Basically anything from hosting support and front end developing. I manage several sites for cal.

10. Coral reefer

Coral reefer President

@denzil @tygunn @Ashalye
    If any of you have the time to talk and help him get setup to help please do!

11. tankguy

tankguy Vice President

I'll be pulling my name out of the running.

12. Gablami

Gablami Supporting Member

First, I'd like to thank Mike and the rest of the BOD for volunteering their time and energy. They stepped up to do a mostly thankless job. And their dedication is even more apparent when nobody wants to take their place! (Except Flagg, woot woot).

I really want to help out and do more, but with one baby and planning for another in the next year, I'm worried about overcommitting myself. But I will continue to be an active member and help out whenever I can.

jonmos75 and Coral reefer like this.
  13. Coral reefer

Coral reefer President

Good Ron be honest with yourself. Being an active member is good enough. We still need lots of those!

14. Wlachnit

Wlachnit Supporting Member

Calling people out...I love it. That's the way to do it. I would be happy to step up and contribute. I don't have the excuse of young children...since both of mine are in college...although that does exhaust the pocketbook. So, where are the biggest holes, or roles are there?

Newjack and Coral reefer like this.
  15. Wlachnit

Wlachnit Supporting Member

That is...besides Web related matters since I have no skills in that area.

16. roostertech

roostertech Supporting Member

Event planning would be the most time consuming aspect of the club I think. Logistic, organization, marketing etc.

17. RandyC

RandyC Supporting Member

Appreciate the mention Mike. I'm glad to help out and to actively contribute online when and where I can, but I think it'd be a disservice for me to sign up for a "responsible role" as I don't think I can commit the amount of time I think would be needed to be fair to the club at the moment.

Got a 3 year old and a 7 month old and my better half already gives me crap for how much I stare at my tank.

18. ashburn2k

I take my 2 year old with me when I need to stare at my tank just to avoid my better half gives me crap.

Wlachnit and Ranjib Dey like this.
  19. Ranjib Dey

Ranjib Dey Supporting Member

I can help with anything software/hosting related. I am a career software developer/system administrator, hopefully I can lend a hand on this front.
    Other than that, any leg work is fine as long as the time commitment is relatively less (1hr/months), I am a novice reefer, so not a whole lotta knowledge to share on other things.

beegee, Coral reefer, Gablami and 2 others like this.
  20. gabloo

gabloo Supporting Member

I just want to say Thank you everyone for putting everything together. I don't have much to offer beside being supporting member ;P. Hopefully I can contribute one day ;)