Jestersix

Northbay-reefer 210 .... rebuilding project

MY system is consisted of the main tank 210gal, plumbed with a remote 90 gal fuge, 40 gal sump inside the garage. It has gone through some neglect due to personal issue so it has suffered a bit, I gave away most of my stuff and was debating whether I should take a break. After thinking through it I decided to redo my tank (life must go on) and this time I want it to be different. I want a bonsai style rock work. Simple open and graceful.

I bought a bunch of lace rocks locally for 30 cents a pound and will put those together after I clean and soak them.
I've also been building new stand and hood so they should be finished soon.

Once I am ready, I will take the rocks out of the main tank, clean every thing and install the new rock work ....

For those of you that saw my old tank, I am hoping that this tank will be even better.

Op course I will have pictures ... lol

Please stay tuned :D

This was the old tank http://www.bareefers.org/home/node/2401

Oh yeah almost forgot ... I do take corals donation ... lol ... Bryan was very gracious to let me raid his tank to get me started ... so I am very thankful for that. That is exactly what this club is about. I've done that for others and now I am the recipient. Thumb up for Bryan. .... My old tank was his motivation to do his 180 and now his 180 is my motivation to redo my 210 .... go figure :D

Ditto for me Tom, once you get what you want, think about all the non-brown corals (i.e. "tricolors" are out :D) you want and browse through my tank :)

Apon, sure, I am in SF quite often.

On another note, while looking for Laced rock, I found a local supplier in Santa Rosa, they have very colorful and coarse California lace rocks for 30 cents a pound. If anyone want to get some let me know and I'll give out the address. They also sell very large bowl rocks from Utah(these are the same as the lace rock in the local store, they are blacker in color) these are 15 cents a pound. Not bad considering the stores sell them for 2-3 dollar a pound. I will use these in combination with live rocks to create a reef structure.

Here are the lace rocks, I soaked them in vinegar and brush them clean.

008.jpg

010.jpg

007.jpg

I am not done with making the bonsai style rocks yet, these are just some pictures to show the progress. This is a fun project, I think I can use these rock to make a shape of a bonsai tree and grow coral on the branches to make them look like leaves of the bonsai tree structure.

Sweet Tom, you wanna come over and build my canopy? I don't have any tools so if you could bring your tools that would be cool, also you may need to pick up some wood on your way I think I cut my Duraflame™ too short and I'm not sure if it will work anymore :D

that works too.. Pick up the rocks for me too please.. Just make me a huge bonsai rock work :D .. I will come pick it up after you're done..

Tom,
Theresa wants to add on to the back of the house. Do you think you could come down for a weekend or two and .......
Steve

Back