Cali Kid Corals

Northbay-reefer 210 .... rebuilding project

Jar, yeah I didn't realize how tall if was until I put it inside the tank :D but believe it or not, the structure is very solid

Jeremy, thanks man, I'll mount the sps on the top and lps on the bottom, but this time I am not going to go crazy adding corals :D

Screebo, thanks, yeah I made sure to take my time this time and not rush into things so I am very glad that it turns out the way that I want. At this point I like it just the way it is :D

Eight, if you need flat rocks you can get lace rocks, they come in nice and flat with unique shapes. If you are looking for some I know a place that sell lace rocks for 30 cents a pound.

be cautious with lace rock though. Look for veins of other minerals, red color, etc. Some contain high loads of iron and other heavy metals.

I considered using lace rock as well, because the pieces are ideally shaped and it's cheap, but I didn't because I wanted to use all calcium carbonate based rock and shared Gresham's concerns about minerals and other pollutants...

I have absolutely no evidence/experience/confirmation about any negative effects of lace rock though... I was just being extra safe.

GreshamH, I am not sure it does, but I soaked them in vinegar for several weeks and then muriatic acid and pressure washed them before adding them to the tank.

Eight, I have seen many people using lace rocks with no problems so that is why I tried it. I moved most of my live rocks in the refugium for the benefit of live rocks though.

northbay-reefer said:
GreshamH, I am not sure it does, but I soaked them in vinegar for several weeks and then muriatic acid and pressure washed them before adding them to the tank.

Eight, I have seen many people using lace rocks with no problems so that is why I tried it. I moved most of my live rocks in the refugium for the benefit of live rocks though.

I've used thousands of pounds of lace rock in some major builds back when I did tank installs. It's hard to find truly kosher lace rock, trust me. We went as far as to send off samples to get tested. While in the short run it's fine, if you use enough over time it'll lead to algae problems. Vinegar and muratic acid won't do a thing if it's not bound up in something those attack :) The vains are what you really need to watch out for, and the the red colored stuff.

northbay-reefer said:
Thanks Gresh, I'll keep an eye on it.

FWIW I really like your aquascaping and I can't believe I haven't said that yet.

northbay-reefer said:
Sure man just let me know when :D

Cool. We almost went to Healdsburg yesterday to look around, but decided to go hiking (locally) instead. I would imagine we'll be up that way pretty soon, so I'll shoot you an :mail: in advance.

Once again, Congrats. Looks beauty-full :glasses:

R.K.

Patchin, thanks man, now I need to fill those shelves ...lol ... it will be expensive

Greshhhh hahaha no problem man, you just wanted to help. btw, I will be hosting the wine country reefer meeting in December and I believed that Ocean Nutrition is going to be doing a talk. Are you going to be there?

Reefer Keeper, I am actually in Windsor, just 5 minutes from Healdsburg so you will be very close.

oh no, Ocean Nutrition is owned by a major comptitor of ours in the Aquaculture world.

:) But I know you meant Reef Nutrition as I remember setting Randy up with that :) I suspect I will since I LOVE wine :lol: I'll sober up on the return trip since Randy lives in San Jose and I have another 50 minutes to my house in Aptos.

LOL sorry about that man, I am not very good with name ... for instant I don't even know what my north bay club is called exactly :D I think it's north bay something :bigsmile:

Wine you say? ... no problem, I have over 200 bottles sitting in the cellar :Sp so what kind do you like? we will be opening quite a bit of bottles. Their will be a couple of people with very good wine connection so if you want to make deals ahead of time, please pm me and I'll set them up for you ;)

Someone took a much better picture of the tank so here is the updated pix

tomtank.jpg

Thanks guys, I am liking this rock work more and more because of how open it is. Anemone was moving around the tank until he got to that point so I entice him with food each day for him to stay there, and then the clowns move in. It has been there for a month now so keep my finger crossed

xinumaster said:
Nice aquascape, Tom. I see you're collecting a lot of chalice. We should trade one of these days.
Sure, but I need to build up my stock first :D

Bryan, the treasure chess is being re gift along with my salad spinner :D

Back