1. The 2014 BAR Members Only Frag Swap is today!

Become a member in order to participate in today's swap!
  2. Hey Bay Area Reefers!

Please excuse the mess as we're currently sorting out some technical issues with our new home page as it has thrown off our website URLs a bit.

Thank you for your patience!

Your Webmin

[Nov 16, 2013] Anemone Talk by Shu Tin Sterlin (Hayward, CA)

Discussion in 'Events & Announcements' started by gimmito, Oct 31, 2013.

Anemone Talk by Shu Tin Sterlin
Start Date: Nov 16, 2013 12:00 PM
End Date: Nov 16, 2013 01:00 PM
Time Zone: America/Los_Angeles -08:00 PST

25555 Hesperian Blvd.
Hayward, CA 94545

Posted By: gimmito

Confirmed Attendees: 3
You can not RSVP for this event...

This event has already begun, or has already passed; RSVP has been since closed.
The following users have RSVP'd "Yes": 3
  1. gimmito

gimmito Guest

[​IMG]

Anemone ID and care in the genus Stichodactylade

In the genus Stichodactylade, there are 5 species that are commonly seen in the hobby trade: S. mertensii, S. gigantea, S.haddoni, and S. tapetum.

I have kept/am keeping all 5 species in my tanks. By far, this is my favor genus in the sea anemone family. In my talk, I will discuss proper identification, care, and feeding of these fascinating creatures in the home aquarium.

Bio:

I was born in Taiwan, came to US as a teenager. I went to University of Tenn for myBSN, and MS from Chapman University. I served in USAF for near 7 years during theDesert Storm years as a nurse officer. Went to school on base at night and finished my masters in business management.

My passion for marine animal started when I was a child growing up in a small seaside town, in Taiwan. My dad is an animal lover, and in his 90's, he still keeps up with his tanks.
    The happiest childhood memories I have were the times that I spent in tide pools with my mom in late afternoons when tides were low.
    In my undergrad study, I worked at the university lab and one of my duty was to care for the large fish tanks.
    On weekends, my friends were partying, and I was hangout with my fish tanks...

But, then came the family responsibility and career demand, so the hobby took a long break. And, suddenly, the, kids were grown, left home and I was a little lost. But, one day in 1998, my best friend showed up at my door with a 55g tank and some pumps, and I happily renewed my passion for this hobby on that very day.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 3, 2013
  2. Coral reefer

Coral reefer President

Sounds interesting!