Cali Kid Corals

[Nov 16, 2013] Anemone Talk by Shu Tin Sterlin (Hayward, CA)

2j4g.jpg

Anemone ID and care in the genus Stichodactylade

In the genus Stichodactylade, there are 5 species that are commonly seen in the hobby trade: S. mertensii, S. gigantea, S.haddoni, and S. tapetum.

I have kept/am keeping all 5 species in my tanks. By far, this is my favor genus in the sea anemone family. In my talk, I will discuss proper identification, care, and feeding of these fascinating creatures in the home aquarium.

Bio:

I was born in Taiwan, came to US as a teenager. I went to University of Tenn for myBSN, and MS from Chapman University. I served in USAF for near 7 years during theDesert Storm years as a nurse officer. Went to school on base at night and finished my masters in business management.

My passion for marine animal started when I was a child growing up in a small seaside town, in Taiwan. My dad is an animal lover, and in his 90's, he still keeps up with his tanks.
The happiest childhood memories I have were the times that I spent in tide pools with my mom in late afternoons when tides were low.
In my undergrad study, I worked at the university lab and one of my duty was to care for the large fish tanks.
On weekends, my friends were partying, and I was hangout with my fish tanks...

But, then came the family responsibility and career demand, so the hobby took a long break. And, suddenly, the, kids were grown, left home and I was a little lost. But, one day in 1998, my best friend showed up at my door with a 55g tank and some pumps, and I happily renewed my passion for this hobby on that very day.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back