Cali Kid Corals

Now that my KH is up, help me keep it there

I don't know if they're crap, that's usually the kneejerk response whenever you mention using "an inexpensive test kit" vs. a pricier one, so I had to put that out there. Although even a crappy kit should yield some results even if they are off a bunch.

Try testing freshly made saltwater with your test, after the water has been brought up to tank temperatures. Maybe the weird readings are from the fact that some of the elements have been depleted in the tank water. You can at least sort of guess at the accuracy of your test, assuming the salt mix (mixed to some specific salinity) lists the contents on the bucket.

V

I don't think it's necessarily unreasonable to not test Mg or to test it infrequently. Since Mg is in such great concentration and is consumed so slowly, regular water changes are generally sufficient to keep it in bounds. Also, three part and calcium reactors both replenish Mg at roughly the rate it's consumed, so if you're testing Ca and Alk, Mg is unlikely to get far screwed up.

Another thing about Mg is that it's fairly obvious when it's depleted (since it becomes difficult to keep Ca and Alk up) and it's not very toxic at moderately elevated levels.

I pretty much test it if I'm having a problem (like excessive abiotic precipitation or difficulty raising Ca/Alk) and I otherwise ignore it.

[quote author=Vincerama2 link=topic=6089.msg77521#msg77521 date=1233296979]
All I gotta say is that I really hate those colour-changing tests! Going from pink to violet? Come on! Stupid chemistry!

V
[/quote]
Heheheh my favorite one to hate is the API Nitrate test where its a slow graduation from sun yellow, to canary yellow, to pee yellow, to egg yolk yellow, yellow with slightly orange tinge... and the last two are red.

[quote author=pixelpixi link=topic=6089.msg77517#msg77517 date=1233292855]
I don't think it's necessarily unreasonable to not test Mg or to test it infrequently. Since Mg is in such great concentration and is consumed so slowly, regular water changes are generally sufficient to keep it in bounds. Also, three part and calcium reactors both replenish Mg at roughly the rate it's consumed, so if you're testing Ca and Alk, Mg is unlikely to get far screwed up.

Another thing about Mg is that it's fairly obvious when it's depleted (since it becomes difficult to keep Ca and Alk up) and it's not very toxic at moderately elevated levels.

[/quote]

If you are using kalk or certain salt mixes you'll be depleting your MG and not replentishing it ;) It may be an obvious thing to you but to most it is not. It's one of the less understood parameters in a marine tank. CA Reactors are not a great source of MG which is why people add dolomite and other MG sources to their reactors.

I have to dose every three weeks and bump up my WC water every time.

I do the same, I bump my levels up every week or so. And add to my water changes. The calcium reactor doesn't really do much in terms of adding magnesium. I even have zeomag in my reactor which doesn't do anything. The zeomag doesn't seem to disolve at the pH levels that calcium reactor media disolves.

Hmmm, thanks for the tip Gresh, I wasn't aware that Kalk depletes Mg and I've been dripping it as my top off! That might (probably) explain my low Alk and CA. Oh, I have mangroves in the sump, which I know also greatly deplete Mg (they somehow use it to de-salinate themselves or something). I just (last night) installed a CA Reactor (finally!) so I'm gonna look around for dolomite to use in it, and in the meantime I'll look into some Mg testing kits..which is the easiest to use?

V

I like Elos but to each their own with test kits. Some like API, others like (shudder) Salifert and some even like Tetra :) Oh and Tony uses Seachem :p

hmm... you seem to disdain Salifert...care to discuss?

I only have one Salifert kit...the Alkalinity test. I like it because you don't have to count drops, just use the syringe, then read the marking.

V

still have a bitter taste from a couple "bad" test kits and I dislike the color change. May have changed but that ship has sailed for me :)

[quote author=Gomer link=topic=6089.msg77652#msg77652 date=1233367658]
I'm not the only one who uses the seachem kits ;) I like how they are all actual titration kits.
[/quote]

Yup, knew that ;) You couldn't be any means support a company that large with your small purchases. That's a no brainer :lol:

I made that comment as you just posted it in another thread ;)

Ok, can someone explain this?

I just did a round of water tests tonight.

I didn't believe my KH test so I tried another and got the same result, so then I calibrated it with the 3.8meq/l solution and it was spot on.

Date: Alk: Calc: Mag: PH: Salt:
28 Jan 2009 9.50 420 1200 7.82 1.0240
30 Jan 2009 7.00 440 1440 8.10 1.0245

Why did my Alk spike 2.5 dKH in 2 days?

Back