Neptune Aquatics

NPS - Sun Corals

I know some in the club keep them, can't remember who.

Anyhow, if you have them what is the longest stretch you have gone w/o target feeding them and still ok?

It would be fine, but they won't grow much at all. My longest stretch Would be 2 weeks without feeding them with a blaster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't target feed my Dendros and they are growing with new heads forming. As long as they are in the general flow and not tucked into a dead flow zone, they should be able to capture some food. Assuming you broadcast feed and not target feed your fish that is.

I tried a sun coral for a while.
It started to recede so I passed it to someone else.
Pretty sure it was not getting enough food. My fish are fast.

I don't target feed my Dendros and they are growing with new heads forming. As long as they are in the general flow and not tucked into a dead flow zone, they should be able to capture some food. Assuming you broadcast feed and not target feed your fish that is.

Which one do you think is easier, Tubastrea or Dendros?

My experience is Dendros are easy. Sun Corals are much less hardy and harder to keep. If you want your Dendros to grow at a good pace feed twice a week at least. If you don't mind almost no new heads then you can do less. They will tell ou what they eed though. If they are at full extension every night they are hungry. If you don't feed them and they aren't getting enough food then they will quit extending all the way or much at all -- then you have to start feeding.

I don't mind spot feeding once a few days, as long as they don't die if I ever go on trip.

I've seen various picture of dendro (some more yellow than other?) if you have them could you post pic and how much did it cost.

Here's mine. I originally paid $25 a head for two heads. It now has three full-size, two half-size and four or five buds. It has really taken off lately. $25-$30 a head at an LFS seems standard.
IMG_4403.JPG

I spot feed mine about 2 times a week without really keeping track and they are growing and doing well. But I don't worry about it if I can't spot feed them for a week or two. One time a few months ago I was busy with life and hadn't fed them for a couple weeks and they started to recede, but then I fed them again and they perked up.

Also I had a long spine urchin who decided to munch away about 1/3 of one of the heads and I worried it was a goner because it wouldn't fully extend after that, but after a few weeks of making a point of more frequent spot feeding of it, it was fine again, just a bit flatter on one side.

I spot feed mine about 2 times a week without really keeping track and they are growing and doing well. But I don't worry about it if I can't spot feed them for a week or two. One time a few months ago I was busy with life and hadn't fed them for a couple weeks and they started to recede, but then I fed them again and they perked up.

Also I had a long spine urchin who decided to munch away about 1/3 of one of the heads and I worried it was a goner because it wouldn't fully extend after that, but after a few weeks of making a point of more frequent spot feeding of it, it was fine again, just a bit flatter on one side.

Oh hi, welcome, first post? lol

Yeah. Long time lurker as they say...

Been reefkeeping for around 20 years but not so into social media. I decided I should try to give back a little since I've learned a lot from forums. And because I came here to ask some advice on a different topic, which I'll post separately so as to not hijack this thread.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Back