Jestersix

Nuisance Polyps

Does anyone know of a good way to get rid of nuisance button polyps? I have these green/brown button polyps that are all over my live rocks, sand, everywhere. :p They're growing on the shells of my clams as well. Is there anything that will kill/eat these things?

Is it possible to buy/find those nudis? (I'm moving my zoas to a nano soon, so that's not a problem.) What would be perfect is finding something that would eat both the polyps and anthelia, both of which are driving me nuts!

[quote author=Euphyllia link=topic=5872.msg73918#msg73918 date=1231735496]
What about fish that eat coral? Like some sort of angle fish...
[/quote]

Chances are more than likely they will begin to sample and devour your desirable corals.

Hey Bonnie! Good to see you surface again! I wonder how it would work if you were to treat them like aptasia and cover them with kalk paste?

Hey Tony! Yeah, life got kinda busy and I haven't done anything with the tank in months, unfortunately. Finally got around to cleaning up the tank over the holidays.

I might try the kalk paste thing just out of curiosity, but I'd probably have to do it really slowly, since there's soooo many of them. I doubt I'd be able to get them all.

[quote author=Euphyllia link=topic=5872.msg73918#msg73918 date=1231735496]
What about fish that eat coral? Like some sort of angle fish...
[/quote]

Lol Ihave access to a Coral eating Rabbit fish.

I once herd the owner say...
"He munches on mushrooms...like there hamburger!!"

lol

Hey Bonnie, I've used kalk paste to control GSP and it seems to work fine but I haven't tried it to get rid of anything, just control where they go.

HEY! I read in a book that Frogspawn has such a powerful sting, it can even kill aptasia! If aptasia can kill most corals (in this case the polyps), and Frogspwan can kill aptasia, just touch the frogspwan to the polyps and it will kill them! In the boo kit said... "Frogspawn has a powerful enough sting to kill most coral and even pesky aptasia anemones!"... So I'm almost positive that will work! It will also work with hammer coral, and torch coral! I used my frogspwan to kill aptasia. It works. Just toucj it to the polyps every now and then and they'll die!

[quote author=Euphyllia link=topic=5872.msg74075#msg74075 date=1231809055]
HEY! I read in a book that Frogspawn has such a powerful sting, it can even kill aptasia! If aptasia can kill most corals (in this case the polyps), and Frogspwan can kill aptasia, just touch the frogspwan to the polyps and it will kill them! In the boo kit said... "Frogspawn has a powerful enough sting to kill most coral and even pesky aptasia anemones!"... So I'm almost positive that will work! It will also work with hammer coral, and torch coral! I used my frogspwan to kill aptasia. It works. Just toucj it to the polyps every now and then and they'll die!
[/quote]

I think if you tried to use frogspawn to kill polyps or aptasia purposefully by attempting to touch them with it, the fragspawn would quickly retreat and you would only result in harming or killing the frogspawn.

[quote author=Euphyllia link=topic=5872.msg74080#msg74080 date=1231811403]
Oh... :(
[/quote]

BUT, if the frog spawn was placed in the vacinity, it would possibly send sweeper tenticles out, and clear stuff away though. but it woild take a bit longer.

[quote author=ModernReefKeeper link=topic=5872.msg74081#msg74081 date=1231811608]
[quote author=Euphyllia link=topic=5872.msg74080#msg74080 date=1231811403]
Oh... :(
[/quote]

BUT, if the frog spawn was placed in the vacinity, it would possibly send sweeper tenticles out, and clear stuff away though. but it woild take a bit longer.
[/quote]

And while you were waiting it would send out a dozen more spores to continue to spread around the tank ;) Like cutting grass one blade at a time IMO.

How much does Kalk paste affect tank PH? Especially in a smaller tank, like under 30 gallons, I assuming it needs to applied pretty liberally to do it's work, right? I have some nuisance yellow polyps in my tank I've been meaning to try and take out, I picked up a bottle of AiptasiaX thinking if I inject them with that it will kill off the polyps. Should I be concerned with a PH spike?

YES! Well actually I don't know... But... I'm guessing... Uhhh... Probably... Well... Ummm... Yes you should. Even if you aren't using that stuff, you should still try to bring the PH back to about 8.1-8.4... That is my guess...

[quote author=badbread link=topic=5872.msg74084#msg74084 date=1231813437]
How much does Kalk paste affect tank PH? Especially in a smaller tank, like under 30 gallons, I assuming it needs to applied pretty liberally to do it's work, right? I have some nuisance yellow polyps in my tank I've been meaning to try and take out, I picked up a bottle of AiptasiaX thinking if I inject them with that it will kill off the polyps. Should I be concerned with a PH spike?
[/quote]

Of course, anything in extreme can be harmful but I've personally never used AptasiaX, Joe's Juice or Kalk Paste where it had a negative effect on my pH; even after using it liberally. That is my experience.

mmm, using kalk paste would raise your pH, so be sure not to use too much -better to use it a little more sparingly, to avoid a significant spike in pH in general.
When I used kalk paste on Anthelia, I used enough to cover the mat of the colony. The polyps retracted within five minutes IME.

Back