Kessil

Nutrient Rich vs Nutrient Poor

Matt_Wandell said:
If you have any macroalgae you should see the effect iron has on it within days.

So here's a stupid question:

Has anyone played around with reducing the amount of iron in an aquarium as a method to control algae?

Would it be possible to use a resin of some type that absorbed iron to fight hair algae? Just speculating out of curiousity here, figured the heavyweights here might know.

Stop me if I'm stupid, but maybe something like this: http://www.aquatell.com/us/water-filters/qsmart/max-flow-iron-filter-system

Iron isn't really a limiting nutrient to HA given the low amount it takes. PO4 and NO3 are the biggest limiting nutrients for it.

Do not forgot most other life in your aquarium needs iron to a certain degree as well.

GDawson said:
treylane said:
I beg to differ on the lack of wysiwyg for softies, Diver's Den puts up pretty freaky leathers and stuff regularly, just keep a close eye on their softies section. Neptune has usually has some neat stuff in stock as well. :)

http://www.liveaquaria.com/diversden/ItemDisplay.cfm?c=2733+7&ddid=112333

You are correct about Divers Den...but it can be hit and miss. They are also pricey with shipping. Live Aquaria also has some "stock" items that might be interesting, but offers no WYSIWYG.

I live in Vallejo so sojourns to Neptunes and others down south don't happen very often. I did get a nice bright yellow Fiji toadstool from Neptunes a couple of months back.

-Gregory

Jess -

I stand corrected, there's quite a bit more than I initially realized; both interesting and lower priced.

In case anyone makes the same mistake: Live Aquaria does not have its corals cross referenced. So when looking at the Softie section under the general heading of Corals thinking it would show everything it was not showing softies in the Captive Grown or Aquacultured catigories. Strange. One would think they'd all be cross referenced and then tagged as Aquacultured or CCGC in the description. More than likely it's that way for all the coral categories.

-Gregory

GDawson said:
GDawson said:
treylane said:
I beg to differ on the lack of wysiwyg for softies, Diver's Den puts up pretty freaky leathers and stuff regularly, just keep a close eye on their softies section. Neptune has usually has some neat stuff in stock as well. :)

http://www.liveaquaria.com/diversden/ItemDisplay.cfm?c=2733+7&ddid=112333

You are correct about Divers Den...but it can be hit and miss. They are also pricey with shipping. Live Aquaria also has some "stock" items that might be interesting, but offers no WYSIWYG.

I live in Vallejo so sojourns to Neptunes and others down south don't happen very often. I did get a nice bright yellow Fiji toadstool from Neptunes a couple of months back.

-Gregory

Jess -

I stand corrected, there's quite a bit more than I initially realized; both interesting and lower priced.

In case anyone makes the same mistake: Live Aquaria does not have its corals cross referenced. So when looking at the Softie section under the general heading of Corals thinking it would show everything it was not showing softies in the Captive Grown or Aquacultured catigories. Strange. One would think they'd all be cross referenced and then tagged as Aquacultured or CCGC in the description. More than likely it's that way for all the coral categories.

-Gregory

And there is good reason for that. Normal Live Aquaria items are dropped shipped from a LA wholesaler. All aquacultured items and special Divers Den stuff ships from Rhinlander.

Don't want to debate on weather/how should we do WC, just want to hear your guys opinions.

Sometime you can read a post that someone is not doing WC for years with good result, for example this recent one on RC, 3 years no WC, only supplemental is Cal Reactor.

• Could this be just fake info? (But there are more than 1 instances, some ppl does not seem to be the type that give fake info just to get some eyeballs, or purposely mislead other ppl)
  • Some info is missing or hiding?
    Cal Reactor with good media can really supplement everything corals need?
    As long as SG and right concentration of major elements are maintained, N/P get exported, trace element is not that important?

It's totally believable to me that tanks can long periods without wc's and do alright. It's pretty well documented in many stories of neglected tanks. However, I think the keys are that any system will seek a balance, neglect includes the idea that nothing much is being added, and it is more likely to work in low bioload situations.

Also I forgot about this thread. My thoughts on iron depletion being used to fight algae were in response to my experiences with hair algae. It generally dies in my systems and I don't know why. Always been curious. Wasn't considering removing all iron, just treating the tank to lower iron levels. In any case, I've inherited corals from a tank that lost the hair algae war, dropped them in my dirty nano and seen the hair algae die off within two days.

Something is missing in my systems that HA needs...

I read more and it appears that for above case, cal reactor catch up with elements requirements for that tank, at least corals appear to be healthy.

Beside if you had look in above RC thread, someone asked about fish list, it is not a short list at all.

Sorry for the hijacking, since WC was mentioned earlier in this thread, I wanted to ask opinions for this type of case.

IME (and I've had to turn around many a ship), if you go the lazy route (and not keeping up with husbandry is lazy, sorry), when problems start to catch up to you it is very difficult to implement a service routine that does not shock the system and amplify problems. Sure some people avert impending doom somehow, but how many other people get lazy and their tanks crash or become algae factories?

Back