Kessil

Oceanic 29 Gallon BioCube Quesiton

Hi,

Is anyone using or has used the Oceanic 29 Gallon BioCube? If so, would you recommend it or not?

Petco has them on sale for $390 including the stand.
http://www.petco.com/product/106685/Oceanic-BioCube-and-Stand.aspx

I am currently considering the 29 Gallon Bio Cube and matching stand to house my seahorses, pipe fish and a few small SPSs an Palys

Thank you for following my post and for taking the time to respond back.

I had couple in the past and liked them; one thing to consider is they are supposed to be all in one units but the bug of upgrading/modding the lights got to me. What I hated was the stand being short so I built my own ~36" out of 3/4" ply.
VS the JBJ 24 I opted for the BC due the light's are independent, each PC has it's own cord and the JBJ is one ballast for both lamps.
The stock pump does not have lots of flow so it should be ideal for sea horses.
The better news of the BC29 is that's available now with MH lighting, OTA has one in stock; the filtration chamber was re-designed too following the popular mods from nano reef forums, smart move from Oceanic; it even has a cut out on the back pane plastic for a fuge light.
Stand still the same crappy one.
Did I like the cube? yes so much that if I spot one at a good price might get it.

xcaret said:
Did I like the cube? yes so much that if I spot one at a good price might get it.

Thanks for the detailed info. I'll contact OTA this week to take a peek at it. I appreciate the quick response and for taking the time to help me set a good environment for these critters.

I hear you about the stand. In Earthquake Country, a larger stand would be best. I'm limited for floor space, so the small foot print makes sense. I was consider making a 1/2 round top and bottom for it and securing it to the stand.

I Googled the New BC29 HQI online, (good photos and detailed info) http://www.marineandreef.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=RON36015 , and thought the fuge window and built in protein skimmer was neat too. BTW, The skimmer is an optional add on with the older model which I'll probably spring for.

I could be wrong, but feel the lighting system may waste / diffuse too much light away from the display, and doesn't have the moon lights the older model has. For what I'm using it for, I may not want to spend the extra money for the updated one; and I like PCs for smaller applications like this.

Thank you for staying in touch. Your hydnophora is going great guns. Let me know if would like some of it back.

The link below is to my Seahorse Tank. I'm currently using my 7 gallon fuge off the 100g main display tank to house them. The live broadcast is from 12 Noon to 10PM. I have some good videos of them on the site too....

Curved glass = hard to clean, hard to take pictures.
PC lights = more heat than light

I'm looking to get a glass cube too and I think I'll get CADLights' 2x2 cube with strafire glass and slap some MH on top of it.

zepplock said:
...PC lights = more heat than light

I'm looking to get a glass cube too and I think I'll get CADLights' 2x2 cube with strafire glass and slap some MH on top of it.
NICE :)

Sounds like you're beginning an awesome adventure. I'm interested in following your build out.

I had forgotten how hot my PC lights had gotten on my 38 gallon; thanks for the reminder. I believe the BC canopy has two built in fans, so I'd hate to have to purchase another a chiller just for a 29g as these critters need to be between 72-79 degrees.

I'm hoping to keep the Syngnathidae set-up somewhat simple and not break the bank like my 100 gallon set up almost did. This will make tank number three running in our home, so I'd like to keep the work load and the number of things that could possibly go wrong down too.

I've been planning a seahorse tank in my mind for the past 18 or 19 years; and now that dream has been down sized to a 29 BC.

Once my Tang, Clown and 4 Stripe Sergeant fish surcomb to old age, the hundred gallon display will be my ultimate Syngnathinae set up. I've had our Tang for nearly 13 years not sure how many more years they can live for.

I'm hoping that I'm doing the right thing. :~

xcaret said:
.... What I hated was the stand being short so I built my own ~36" out of 3/4" ply.

Do you still use that stand, and if not, can it accommodate a 29g BC? If you still have it and aren't using it and it can support the 29g BC would you be interested in selling it? LMK

Hey Joel,

I have a BC29 with matching stand, the older model, but upgraded my hood to LED.
The looks is very clean and the stand matches perfectly to the tank.
The curved glass is a pain to clean with mag floats.... It's easier to stick your hand inside.
I didn't have problems with heat on my old PC lamps, just with the summer heat.
That skimmer is just crap... get something else. It's one of those air stone version of skimmer.
I heard Tunze has a nice one that fits in the back chamber, but I never tried. I just use chaeto.
I love the upgrades of the new version.
If you don't mind buying used stuff, nano-reef.com always has someone selling their used BC29.

newhobby said:
Hey Joel,

...I didn't have problems with heat on my old PC lamps, just with the summer heat.
That skimmer is just crap... get something else. It's one of those air stone version of skimmer.
I heard Tunze has a nice one that fits in the back chamber, but I never tried. I just use chaeto.
I love the upgrades of the new version.
If you don't mind buying used stuff, nano-reef.com always has someone selling their used BC29.

Thank you Roberto,

Thank you for your post and for the information too. I was glad to learn of your experience with PCs. I saw the Protein Skimmer with wooden air stone for $35 and I saw the nicer skimmer, but I think it was over $150. Since I don't plan to keep fish in it, and will being using live plants, live rock and live sand I think I may be able to keep it real simple at first.

I like your idea about the LED system you spoke of. I might be wrong, but think I saw a photo of it on one of your posts or journal. I don't mind spending for the upgraded version, but I'm not thrilled about the light as it looks like it can break off and also because it looks like it'll light the room as much as the tank. I prefer to focus the light into the tank and not the room. Plus I like the idea of the moon lights the older version come with.

I plan to visit the LFS to check out the new model before committing to my final purchase.

Thanks again for landing on my thread and sharing your experience and comments with me. Almost forgot to mention for the Nano- Reef.com link too. Much appreciated. I didn't see a Tank Journal for you. If you have one or start one, feel free to :mail: a link.

Happy Reefing,
Joel

Some online places were giving away the stand free with purchase when I was looking for one. Since so much modding has to be done to the lighting, it's not really worth it new IMO, unless you're happy with the stock lighting. i got mine used for $250 w/ stand on craigslist. If you do want to go LED nanotuners.com sells a custom heatsink that fits perfectly in the hood. The price is reasonable seeing that it's a custom fit and already tapped out.

http://www.nanotuners.com/product_info.php?products_id=632

here's alot of good info with a list of mods

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=180788

Reef Keeper said:
xcaret said:
.... What I hated was the stand being short so I built my own ~36" out of 3/4" ply.

Do you still use that stand, and if not, can it accommodate a 29g BC? If you still have it and aren't using it and it can support the 29g BC would you be interested in selling it? LMK

I traded the cube with the stand but I can make another one, just LMK

[/quote] I traded the cube with the stand but I can make another one, just LMK [/quote]

Thank you Mario,

I may take you up on that, as you do some nice cabinets. :bigsmile:

Sfork said:
Some online places were giving away the stand free with purchase when I was looking for one. Since so much modding has to be done to the lighting, it's not really worth it new IMO, unless you're happy with the stock lighting. i got mine used for $250 w/ stand on craigslist. If you do want to go LED nanotuners.com sells a custom heatsink that fits perfectly in the hood. The price is reasonable seeing that it's a custom fit and already tapped out.

http://www.nanotuners.com/product_info.php?products_id=632

here's alot of good info with a list of mods

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=180788

Thank you for the links and 411 Tim.

I like the second link, as I registered on that site today; and was looking / searching for those threads.

The 1st link to the heat sink is slightly confusing as I'm just getting my toes wet in Nano Tanks and know very little about LED set ups except that Cree is awesome.

Thx again

The heat-sink is confusing because it is a all-in-one heat-sink for a Biocube 29, nanocube 28, nanocube 24, nanocube 12, and Ap24 so the holes are there to be mounted to the mounts already available in all hoods(basically there are enough holes so you don't have to mod your hood at all just pull out the existing lights). Also it's tapped so you can screw in every LED star if you choose to go that route.

Sfork said:
The heat-sink is confusing because it is a all-in-one heat-sink for a Biocube 29, nanocube 28, nanocube 24, nanocube 12, and Ap24 so the holes are there to be mounted to the mounts already available in all hoods(basically there are enough holes so you don't have to mod your hood at all just pull out the existing lights). Also it's tapped so you can screw in every LED star if you choose to go that route.

Gotcha. Very Cool. Thx again.

newhobby said:
Hey Joel,

Talk to this guy:
http://www.bareefers.org/home/node/9956#new

Thanks again Roberto and to all those who took the time to comment on this thread.

I've decided that a Bio Cube is not going to satisfy me. I want to do the right thing for my species tank and its inhabitants. These creatures require more space then the Bio Cube can offer.

While the species tank project is not dead, the project will be on hold until my fresh water system upstairs comes to its "natural" conclusion.

It may be a while, but when the time comes I believe I will be every bit as pleased with the species tank as I am with my current Krittertank and the equipment TubeRider recommended; and frags I'm growing out too.

Thanks to all for their comments and for hanging in there with me. The project will get done and done well.

Enjoy Reefing.

Robert at Neptune Aquactics has a nice rimless 38 gal. Glass aquarium. I had the 29gal nano, but it is to small and the lights would basically only support fish. I bought the tank, a tunze skimmer, auto top off, and am using a Kessil led light. With this setup I can do almost anything. Not cheap, but this setup will give you a lot of flexibility.

Back