Ocellaris Clowns?

Discussion in 'Buy, Sell, Trade' started by Corallus, Sep 25, 2015.

1. Corallus

Corallus BAR Sponsorship Coordinator

So, early this week I found one of my two clowns on the floor next to my tank.

No good.

This weekend, in addition to making a screen top for my tank, I'll also be looking for one, or perhaps a couple of small, tank bred ocellaris clowns. This may be a bit of a stretch, but I'd love to buy some from someone in the club who's breeding them, if anyone is, and has some available. Alternatively, if someone is looking to re-home theirs, I'd be happy to help. Not necessarily looking for "free" or "cheap", but not looking to spend $100 per fish either. Although some of the fancy ones do have pretty nice paint-jobs:D...

I'm in SF, and willing to drive a little bit.

Thanks!

2. anathema

anathema Supporting Member

Lucky Ocean on balboa. Steve is great, and right now has a tank full of at least 20 locally bred clowns.

3. Corallus

Cool, it's been a while since I've been out there, thanks!

4. Coral reefer

Coral reefer President

5. Apon

Apon Volunteer

The ones Steve have should be from David I think...... A former BAR president. Anyone heard from him recently?

6. Kensington Reefer

Kensington Reefer Supporting Member

Rolf made the journey
    And David is around, but not very reef involved.

Enderturtle likes this.
  7. Coral reefer

Coral reefer President

No former president if this club survives their term it seems

8. anathema

anathema Supporting Member

Steve said they were from a former president of BAR. However, I've been off and on in the club and I don't know him.

9. wpeterson

wpeterson Webmaster

We bought some from Neptune, they have an anemone/clown harem tank near the registers.

10. Enderturtle

Enderturtle Volunteer

I bought 2 ORA clowns from Ultimate Aquarium

One instantly died. Looked like brook disease.

The free replacement clownfish from the store instantly died.

I gave up on Ultimate Aquarium when the replacement clownfish died.

I bought my 4th clownfish from Natural Life in south san francisco.

11. wpeterson

wpeterson Webmaster

That's awful :( They must have been running low levels of copper or hyposalinity in their fish tanks, but still had stressed out and infected fish. That's a time bomb for customers, can't believe they would do that.

12. JKnox

JKnox Guest

Interesting, I had a similar experience, I purchased 2 ORA clownfish from Ultimate Aquarium as the first fish I had. Both had tell-tale signs of Brook by the second day and didn't make it past the third. Now I have fat and happy clowns from Neptune.

Enderturtle likes this.
  13. Enderturtle

Enderturtle Volunteer

Sucks because I live 5 minutes from there but almost never shop there.

We need a better local reef store on the peninsula

Coral reefer likes this.
  14. Corallus

My first clowns came from the big tank at Neptune, and were great. They just need to stay in the tank to do well... After some issues with other fish, and not having my QT settled in, I really wanted animals that had never seen any fish store water. It was great because, in addition to a fair price for a couple of perfect fish, I got to check out Erin's very impressive setup and bug him with all sort of questions. Well worth the drive over the bridge.

And by the way, thanks to everyone who gave me recommendations, much appreciated!

15. muhli

muhli Guest

I got my two clowns from steve in DC. Still alive and kicking after 3 years. They even paired up.