High Tide Aquatics

October 10th 1:00 General meeting featuring Paul Whitby and a DBTC bonanza

I Did! I moved my 7" deresa clam from almost dead center to way over to the left side.
It exposed the canyon that I had originally had. I also moved corals that made a few threesomes of color work.
I think the feng shui is more balanced now or something. :bigsmile:
Only thing is... I think Paul left out a section is his talk on...
"How to get those ugly brown corals to really shine" :D :D :D
In all seriousness if you missed the talk, you missed something good!
Very informative.
Now.... I just need to upgrade to a 8'x4'x2' tank.

FengShuiChart.gif

kinetic said:
cran/raisin oatmeal, yummmmm!

I feel like the club's focus will soon shift to food ;)

Not only are club members good aquarists, but good cooks too! (indicated by last Dec. pot luck party) We're a bunch of multitalented people. :bigsmile: Hopefully we will have another pot luck this year too!

Charles, I'm planning on using some of the techniques mentioned on my next aquarium when I move in a couple months. It was such a timely lecture! :D

I will DEFINITELY be using some of Paul's techniques when I set up my new tank. I'm especially intrigued about using pvc to build structures and arches. Still won't have a huge amount of space in a 58 gallon but I also like the idea of allowing more flow to get in and around rocks with the pvc structures.

Thanks guys for a great meeting...

We should have them more often!

As for feedback. Only one tiny feedback note!

*** Name Labels would have been great :) Just adding your username on it would have made a huge difference! ;)

IMO they tend to be a wasteful thing unless people re-use them at future events. It's not the cost but rather a resource waste (die cut, printed, plastic, etc)

I like the idea of name labels... I talk to a lot of people on the boards, but then have a really hard time putting names/handles to faces at the meeting. I think it would encourage more club interaction. For all I know, I run into lots of the people I talk to in LFSs in the area, but never say hello because I don't recognize them!

(That's why I use my own photo in my avatar, btw...)

Eight said:
I like the idea of name labels... I talk to a lot of people on the boards, but then have a really hard time putting names/handles to faces at the meeting. I think it would encourage more club interaction. For all I know, I run into lots of the people I talk to in LFSs in the area, but never say hello because I don't recognize them!

(That's why I use my own photo in my avatar, btw...)

I didn't recognize you since you weren't eating a miniature city ;)

Name tags! Keep the feedback coming. Looks like a great membership BOD task.

I would like to have reusable over the neck tags for members and guests to pick up at the door. It means one more box to haul to each meeting, but the value of connecting us is well worth it. The cards could be reused with alphabetizing. The tags would be large enough to have name and avatar plus... tank size, lighting, where you live in the Bay area, tank parameters, favorite coral, year joined, nicknames, DBTC karma... You get the idea, lots of cool information, or just name and avatar.

I was very thankful the new members got a chance to introduce themselves. I am so new to the club I do not know who is new or just hasn't been this year to meeting I have been.

Wouldn't it be cool (but perhaps unnecessary) to have membership cards that dub as nametags? The cards would have our names, avatars, stats (dbtc karma, post number, member since, and BOD position if applicable). Could be a way to get us discounts, could have sponsors on the back of it, and just make people feel more elite (not phong, but like elite).

Stats? So like an iPhone app? Just hang the phone around our neck at a meeting? Maybe remote sending of anyone who's curious but too shy to ask who's who? :D

The name tag thing is something that has fallen on the wayside, we used to have them right next to the sign in sheet, but haven't lately. We will get back on that one for sure.

For IMAC we have a machine to print the credit card type. I bet we have a club member that has access to one. That way it could double as a membership card as well for events like IMACwest/Reef-A-Palooze, etc that give club members discounts.

I can ask Frank if the club could use it, if we supplied the ink cartridge and the cards themselves. I think it would cost us a dollar a member. I'd be willing to pay $21 a year instead of $20...

We could even use the magnetic strip to put data on it!

If we go this route, Reef Nutrition will supply the lanyards.

Those lanyards rock! I think that is a great idea, I too have a tough time doing the name to faces thing, every other month makes it tough to remember anyone except the people that are at every meeting.

For sh**s and giggles I will ask Frank what that full cost is just so you have an idea. I know the machine is costly (few grand).

I just never address anyone by their name :lol: everyone is bro or dude :lol:

good then people can stop asking me who is this so and so..... : ) until then we can ask the members to be creative and make their own name tags. It would be interesteing to see what people make.

cwolfus said:
Who went home and moved corals? :)

I did. I purchased 2 tubes of Club IC Gel glue, at our meeting, and finally got almost every coral glued down. It was time to make the commitment. I found the color chart triad to be be especially useful, and am finding the colors are really popping. Thanks to the club for bringing Paul's knowledge to the us. H)

Reef Keeper

For those who weren't there and those who were lol, here is the color "triad"

BuildWebSiteV2pl02fg02.jpg

Group colors on the triad (ie the square colors or the circle colors etc) to make those in the triad "pop" more.

Back