Cali Kid Corals

Odor Emanating From Main Display Tank Question-SOLVED

Question: I have been noticing a distinctive odor emanating from my main display tank that has a mild quality to it that I can only think might be from coming the corals in my display. :~ I'm noticing that the smell is similar to that of Acroporas when they are out of water. And, after I do a major water change, the smell is gone for one or two days and then it's back again. If this odor is being given off by the corals, is there a way to rid the smell, such as increasing water circulation or something else I can do? Note: My skimmer is working properly and even when the collector is empty, the odor can be detected. Just thought I would rule that possibility out.

Thank you for your comments and suggestions.

my guess is that most of the odor is coming from the skimmer.
You could pull that air through a carbon filter to kill the smell.

JAR said:
my guess is that most of the odor is coming from the skimmer.
You could pull that air through a carbon filter to kill the smell.

Thank you for responding. :)

Sorry-Not following the solution. How can the air be pulled through a carbon filter? Do you mean filter the air being pulled into the venturi hose where the silencer goes? Also, the odor is present when the skimmer is cleaned.

I appreciate that are following my post and appreciated the repsonse/s too. :glasses:

The air that goes through the skimmer. Skimmer exhaust if you will has odor.
You would have to get creative and build something to capture that exhaust and run it through a carbon air filter.
Like this...
http://cgi.ebay.com/4-INCH-HYDROPONIC-INLINE-AIR-CARBON-FILTER-ODOR-CONTROL_W0QQitemZ370294470959QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item563745392f

JAR said:
The air that goes through the skimmer. Skimmer exhaust if you will has odor.
You would have to get creative and build something to capture that exhaust and run it through a carbon air filter.
Like this...
http://cgi.ebay.com/4-INCH-HYDROPONIC-INLINE-AIR-CARBON-FILTER-ODOR-CONTROL_W0QQitemZ370294470959QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item563745392f

Wow. That's some solution. THANKS. Never seen anything like that before. All I can guess is that I'll have to put that filter on the output flow of the skimmer that empties to the sump. Have you tried this, or know of any of out members that have?

I don't understand why after 2 years, I'm just experiencing this now. Prior to this, I had a hang up skimmer, on my 38 gallon, for 10 years and had not noticed the odor either.

Okay: Well at least I heading in a good direction.

Thank you. :)

PROBLEM SOLVED

I've discovered where the mystery odor is coming from. It's actually "out-gassing" (similar to new car scent) from the two new leather sofas I had delivered a few days ago that are in the family room near the aquarium display.

Sorry to waste your time on this. :(

I would suggest a carbon filter for your sofas then :D :bigsmile:
Mix kalk paste and activated carbon powder and spread it evenly on the surface of the sofa. : ;)

JAR said:
Mix kalk paste and activated carbon powder and spread it evenly on the surface of the sofa. : ;)

Actually I'd suggest carbon for the air intake of teh skimmer. You don't want those chemicals getting sucked into your skimmer ;)

Your right, they should slap carbon on both their air intake and output :lol:

JAR said:

LOL: Do you have another good link for those items. ;)

It's good to have such brainy folks that also have a good sense of humor to correspond with. H)

Thanks for the info and laughs. I appreciate you following and responding to my posts - You too Gresham. :bigsmile:

If I remember correct, the nice feature about RS Berlin skimmers is the extra carbon chamber, and I think that's the only nice thing to say about them?

When I got the fist sized chunk of purple tip red tabling acro from Derek at O.T, it stunk up the whole kitchen when I pulled it out of the bag and prepared to mount it in the tank. It's still pissed at me but coming around to being a little more social.

It's a healthy sized coloney and should be willing to give up several frags to the DBTC program. Let's just be sure it stops being pissed at me first. :(

Back