Reef nutrition

Oiram's prop little tank

Thanks Patrick !

Chalices have recovered, one in particular is 98% gone but three eyes are making a comeback; it was a ~6" chalice from OT (7th image)

Here are some more pictures of the corals in the frag tank

P1040030.jpg

P1040029.jpg

P1040028.jpg

P1040027.jpg

P1040026.jpg

P1040025.jpg

P1040024.jpg

P1040022.jpg

P1040021.jpg

Doing a little check on the tank found the Six Line Wrasse dead...

Recounting the casualties from the tank crash, Flame Angel, Coral Beauty Angel, Six Line Wrasse, Yellow Tang...

2011 started cold and the frag tank felt it; someone opened the basement door and left it open all night, Sunday morning tank was a chilly 70 (for the "Tropical" life) and if it was not bad enough, the MH went out; I thought it was the ballast that died so I placed the Tek from my old 46 and fired it up (I was thinking of selling it but things happen for a reason or so we like to think they do). Turns out the bulb died; after digging out a ballast with the same plug type because I did not want to go through the hassle of re-wiring the whole thing, realized it was the damn bulb. I added two 150W heathers to make the water cozy for the inhabitants, plugged them into the RK1 controller and set both to shut off at 75F so the main 250W heather can keep it ~78F

A big thing today while looking for the replacement ballast is that I found a simple ATO unit I didn't even know I had and the box was marked ATO duh ! so I FINALLY set the ATO for the frag tank !!!!

Someone's happy (not me)

These are images of the basement tank; growing nicely the GBTA and the Tyree GPT that I chopped to save it (The main colony is at home)

I thought I posted these things being baby-sited in the frag tank; both of these were brown and are getting really nice colors
Chalice looks more red/orange that the image shows.

Today found some acros with TN, small frags completely wiped out; inspected the corals and found some AEFW, not many but am guessing a mass of eggs must have found a way into the tank; thought I dealt with the potential pest, had a Hawkins Echinata that showed signs of STN; it was a frag bought from someone in the Sacramento area; I dipped all the frags properly and found the HE with a mass of eggs and a small AEFW.
I'll be dipping all the frags again but today I got a bad cut on my left hand so have to wait for it to heal; don't want a slight chance of ending under antibiotics again

Well, gotta have good luck; I'm optimistic, going to do some serious dipping there and will cut the healthy tissue frags. This tank has served as a quarantine set-up too, before I bring anything home, has to look healthy.

I brought home an infested frag not too long ago, and it seems to be cured in my quarantine nano. Still too scared to move it over, so it's a nice medium brown color under the pc lighting. Quite a few success stories out there now though.

Dipped most corals from the frag tank today; only one worm that seemed flat and a spot of what I believed to be eggs; now to keep a watchful eye; maybe is time to get a six-line wrasse.

Thanks !

I'll be dipping again in CRx again but a bit less than what the instructions show.
I could not find "Round/Oval" bite marks on the corals in question and not giving the AEFW a rest. I know the newly hatched worms are hard to spot so I found my son's toy microscope and has a Video RCA connector to bring a sample home and check it under magnification on the TV screen; it should show the little bastards in the case FW's are the reason for the TN.

At this point not sure on what to look for in the tank as sign of AEFW, I inspect the frags very carefully but see no physical presence of FW's
Some frags went down the drain after the dipping in CRx, those frags were "healthy"; among the losses Red Planet, Hawkin's Echinata, Blue Slimmer, Milli (?), Green Slimmer.
Weird thing is what seems like a Candle Light acro and some other ones are fine, even by being next to the affected coral frags; STN/RTN have me wondering what other thing is causing the decline; 30G water change scheduled...

Back