Jestersix

OK... tell the truth. How hard are acroporas really?

I am having very good success with monti's and pocilopora (sp?). They look great and are putting on what I consider fast growth from what I was expecting. So now I'm thinking that maybe I'll try an acro or two.

1) Are they really that much harder?
2) Are there some that are more forgiving than others?
3) I'm assuming that I'll need to step up the current in the tank for them... but is that necessary for all of them?
4) What's up with "deep water" varieties? Just a catch word? Need less light?
5) Personal lessons learned you wish you knew in advance.......

-Gregory

1) Two of the first things in my tank were a PPE Acropora and Kermit Acropora from Fluid Dynamics. They've both survived everything that's been thrown at them for the last two years. The biggest thing IMO is making sure that you keep phosphates and nitrates low to non-existent.

2) I think that's pretty subjective. I run into most problems with Millepora. I've had two Red Planet frags that both have encrusted and grown well for a few months and then STN'd slowly over a few days. But just to prove myself wrong, I've got a pink milli right now that's been growing and encrusting like a maniac.

3. Rule of thumb for SPS flow is 70-100 times your display tank volume. I don't see your tank thread, but you may be OK if you place them nearer to your existing powerheads. I'd be more concerned about getting adequate lighting.

4. I've never done a deepwater Acro. Waiting for someone to offer a Red Dragon as BDTC!

5. Just glue it down. I've lost more Acroporas to them being knocked off rocks into LPS than I've ever lost to bad placement. I should have just glued them down to start.

Last edited:
1) On "average" not really harder at all. Although I think there are a lot more issues that can happen. Montis get nudibranchs acros get AEFW, acros get red bugs but they're easy to treat in tank, algae that grows between branches obviously won't be an issue for flatter monitpora. As to the pocillipora not even going to mention that because that is a coral that I have found almost impossible to eradicate from my system (short of draining the water) one of the few that I finds sexually reproduces and colonizes different nooks and crannies of your tank.

2) Definitely yes. Something like a Bali "green slimer" can be extremely hardy, where as others if you look at it funny will die. I recall one former member had a "Strawberry Shortcake" acro that grew great in his tank, but just about every frag he made died.

3) Maybe, depends what your current is now. Some acros prefer more flow than others, just like some montipora corals like more flow than others. If you are growing montipora without any issues I wouldn't change anything at all and see how the frags do of whatever coral you get.

4) Not sure, never kept them, never really liked the looks of them, a bit too flimsy looking. I don't know if I'd gravitate towards "deep water" acros just because you think they need less light though. Give this a read
http://www.leonardosreef.com/2012/08/deepwater-acropora-care/

5) Start with frags from frag swaps or from other members, don't go buying frags. I hate to say that frags are good "test subjects" but the reality is they are, and the coral still exists in someone's tank so in that sense it's more "environmentally friendly" because no airline flight had to bring you a big bag of water with a tiny nub of a coral. Brown acros will grow faster than other acros, if you're not happy with the brown color, don't put it in your tank :D

In my opinion, the key to successful SPS, is to make sure you are consistent and stable in everything, and practice basic husbandry.

stable/consistent flow, stable alk/calc, stable temps, always dipping before you add to your tank, consistent water changes, etc.

Knowing how diligent Gregory is w water changes I'd say go for it. Stability is my big key. Don't let phosphates get elevated. Gotta be dosing or ca reactor. The less you have the easier they are IMO because when you have a lot of healthy ones they are using up you alk ca and mg really fast.
If say keep everything the same and try a green slimer or similar. Want anything at next meeting if you'll be there?

Ive found some acro's harder than others. When my tank was sps dominant I really had to pay attention to my auk. I always ran a high mag ( 1400-1600 ). Just like the others have said stability is the key and good flow ofcourse

pretty much but Ive seen people lose them including myself. My acro's all around were fine. I want to try it again. Also want to try the red planet again

Very cool... thanks for the replies guys. Everything is pretty stable in the tank. Like I said the montis and pocillipora are doing very well and growing... They were procured at the swap and are already encrusting the rocks with new growth and forming plates.

I haven't started testing for Mg yet (though I do have the make-up solution from BRS)... everything I've read said regular WCs will take care of it as its used very slowly. I WC weekly at 25%

I'll give some hardy acros a try and see...

-Gregory

Back