Neptune Aquatics

Ok what does DBTC mean?

j/k

Ok, so some of these questions might not be frequently asked but hopefully can help answer some questions before they come up. Any moderator can edit this as well as questions come up.

What is DBTC
DBTC, stands for Don't Break The Chain, the idea is that it works like a Pay It Foward (PIF) type program, where someone donates a particular coral fragment with the idea that the person(s) who get said fragment will grow it out giving to others, who will in turn make fragment to others, etc.

I still don't get it. Why do we have this?
The idea behind it is to help spread coral species throughout the region. This will hopefully lessen the impact of taking corals from the oceans. As well as help spread diversity throughout the area. The idea was a way to push a non-greedy way of helping get corals out there to people. If you can get a coral fragment from a local farmer, that means less of an impact on the oceans. A great many of the "abundant" corals are not in any way mari/aquacultured since it's still profitable to hack them out of the seas.

Ok fine, so how do I get some free corals?
Now while you will get "free corals" this is not what this program is about, this is about sharing and be willing to share with others. While inevitably there will be a bit of a "greed" factor that seems to permeate, especially with more desirably corals, you have to understand the idea is that more will be offered, the way it works is that each coral grows exponentially (ideally), so while it may take some time the coral will be offered again. This program is NOT about stocking your empty tank with new corals for free, what it is about is helping grow a renewable resource and make it available for others for free.

Time? How much time do I need to wait?
It depends entirely on the amount of corals that are initially offered, and the type of corals. Some corals, specifically soft ones, grow quite readily so can be fragmented and dispersed quite rapidly, others like the small polyped stony corals grow relatively slowly, some grow a few inches a year! So it might take longer. Patience is the key, again this isn't to stock your tank full of corals so there should be no rush on getting one.

I don't have an Limited Edition or otherwise rare corals though
Doesn't matter, this program is not about distributing rare corals, if that happens, all the better however what is needed is a sharing of all corals not just rare ones. You have those brown mushrooms, offer them up, just don't be sad if no one wants any Cheesy

Ok, I have corals I'd like to donate, who do I give them too? What do I do?
Alright, now we're talking! First you give them to whomever you wish they are your corals after all. Second you might want to list some rules, or follow some standard rules for who gets them. Third, start a new topic in this forum and type in all the gory details.
Some advice
1) Give a brief description of the coral in the topic you make, Blue acropora or whatever
2) Give a bit more detailed of a description in the coral in the body of the message, if you don't know the exact species who cares, it's hard, it's a stick, call it an acropora, chances are you'll be correct, someone else will be most likely help you identify, besides most corals can't be accurately identified beyond the genus. Mention what lighting you have it under, how high in the tank it is, the flow conditions,fish load, or anything else that's out of the ordinary that you might think is relevant.
3) A picture is worth a thousand words! Get a camera, take a picture, don't worry if it's not the best, just give an idea of the overall color/shape of the coral. Post to any one the many online photo hosting sites (photobucket.com, imageshack.us) and then post via
tags in the body of the message
4) Mention those rules, and what you would like seen with the coral as well.

What are these rules you mention??
The rules are simply a guideline, so overall call goes to whomever is offering since this is a voluntary program.
However some standard rules that can easily be followed, or referred to "See FAQ for rules" are the following

Must be BAR member. (you may open this up to what ever clubs you like, however this keeps it within the club, at least initially)
Must be good with XXX (where this is the type of coral, this means you don't just finish cycling your tank and want to fill it up with corals)
You agree to give frags to 3 more people before selling/trading of it (This is to keep the exponential growth thing going, also it helps safe guard against one person having an issue, tank crash, fell behind a rock, etc)
You agree to pick up XXX (Again wherever you like, BAR meeting is useful, since it makes people go to meetings Smiley, basically it's to keep people from expecting you to deliver it)
Pictures of progress ( it's nice to know how it's doing in other tanks under other conditions sometimes)

Ok great! I like it, so how is the program doing so far?
The program itself is doing great, there should be a spreadsheet in the works about exact corals, I don't have the number of frags offered/taken or number of chains that got created off hand, but hopefully in the near future I should.

Yup, nice write-up. The magazines with the DBTC article just arrived at ASAP yesterday and I brought them around to the local wholesalers in the area so you should start seeing them at stores early next week.-Jim

Cool, but I feed my corals Brawndo so they always end up kind of mutilated.

Has the intra club frag trading advanced to the stage where I can reasonably expect to see frags of a coral come back in at a later date? I know this was always a problem in BARE, occasionally people brought in whole colonies of something they were tired of having, decided they missed it, and when they asked around for a frag no one seemed to have any of it.

I think we're pretty close.

The structure of the program is such that any person receiving frags has to pass it on, so we do end up with multiple generations of frags within the club.

DBTC is good about keeping track of the frags and prioritizing the propagation of the corals.

Some people already have gotten frags back after losing the main colony.

Is it possiable to do a DBTC thread if you are not yet a BAR member (I am going to join but since If I join now the dues will be due in full again in 6 1/2 months it doesn't make sense to join before Jan 09)

[quote author=seminolecpa link=topic=3519.msg43010#msg43010 date=1210621791]
Its $20 to join. Not trying to sound trite but even at half a year you would more then get that out of your membership.
[/quote]

Understood, and it is possible that I will go ahead and join anyway since this is a pretty cool club. However I tend to try and get the best deal for my money and since I plan on reefing for longer then the next 6 months it just seems to make sense to join when I get a year by paying for a year. I understand that the fees are due in jan so that would be the "correct" time to join (at least for me). I am already a paying (member) of several reef clubs. My question came about more as Do you only want DBTC corals from ppl who have already paid or would they be welcome from future members?

hmm. I would guess they could go in DBTC interclub since that is the only one accessable right now by non-members.

As I said not trying to cause waves. This was one of the issues we discussed when we changed the membership from a one year from when you pay to one time annual renewal. The biggest issue with the proration was the administrative hassle. Once we get dinged by paypal for about a dollar on every $20 it just didn't make sense for the small amount of revenue to try to prorate them.

While it may seem like a better value buy waiting till Jan, you lose out a lot in the midterm. Heck, if you bought the BACFM tickets at the door, the price difference between that and the club price is more than the club dues ;)

[quote author=seminolecpa link=topic=3519.msg43015#msg43015 date=1210626783]
hmm. I would guess they could go in DBTC interclub since that is the only one accessable right now by non-members.

As I said not trying to cause waves. This was one of the issues we discussed when we changed the membership from a one year from when you pay to one time annual renewal. The biggest issue with the proration was the administrative hassle. Once we get dinged by paypal for about a dollar on every $20 it just didn't make sense for the small amount of revenue to try to prorate them.
[/quote]

yea I figured it was something along those lines, it is way easier to just have a "Jan Dues are Due" policy, and it means that you have less hassle, All in All a very good plan.

If I hadn't just broken the bank building my 120 I would just join right away but my wife is nagging me daily about where every dollar is going and joining yet another club isbn't high on her list or pirorities right now

Damn wives! They never let us get away with anything. don't worry some of us use the buddy system to get around that ;)...... no honey I didn't spend $450 at the coral farmers market I won some in the raffle and you should see all of the corals people were giving me.

Yea I have used that excuse before actually she thinks just about everything in my tank was free or a gift, if she knew what had really been spent my tank would be doubling as a home.

[quote author=Gomer link=topic=3519.msg43033#msg43033 date=1210635943]
Just tell her that the $20 is an investment which will save you lots in the long run :p
[/quote]

You know I tried that last night......................It didn't work. I am gonna sell my old tank and when I do I will just tell her I sold it for 20 less then I really did

[quote author=Roc link=topic=3519.msg43158#msg43158 date=1210705661]
[quote author=Gomer link=topic=3519.msg43033#msg43033 date=1210635943]
Just tell her that the $20 is an investment which will save you lots in the long run :p
[/quote]

You know I tried that last night......................It didn't work. I am gonna sell my old tank and when I do I will just tell her I sold it for 20 less then I really did
[/quote]Wanna borrow $20?

Back