High Tide Aquatics

old dbtc - anyone remember what this means?

neuro

Webmaster
i don't have a lot of memories of the old dbtc setup, but does anyone remember what the following applied to?

"Normal", and "Extreme"

I honestly don't recall ever seeing that as an option when creating or editing a DBTC but my gut guess is that there may have been a standard DBTC and a premium DBTC so that not all DBTC frags are equal.

I think it might be cool to have a premium DBTC only available to Supporting Members.

DBTC was only open to supporting members under the old board. You couldn't even view those threads if you were a "guest". The text on the current board says "Our club's crown jewel. A "Pay it forward" program intended to encourage propagation and sharing of corals within the club. This is only available to Supporting Members. Become a Supporting Member today"

However, it looks like both guests and members can currently view these threads. I suspect this was simply an error when the new website was migrated. I believe it just needs to be corrected. That's a simple enough change to make on the backend, which I will do today unless someone tells me that BOD wanted this opened up to everyone.

DBTC was only open to supporting members under the old board. You couldn't even view those threads if you were a "guest". The text on the current board says "Our club's crown jewel. A "Pay it forward" program intended to encourage propagation and sharing of corals within the club. This is only available to Supporting Members. Become a Supporting Member today"

However, it looks like both guests and members can currently view these threads. I suspect this was simply an error when the new website was migrated. I believe it just needs to be corrected. That's a simple enough change to make on the backend, which I will do today unless someone tells me that BOD wanted this opened up to everyone.

I believe we opened up the DBTC to guests JUST to view it. No posting or any privileges besides just to be able to look around.

There used to be dbtc x for super high end frags, but this was abandoned before I joined in 2010... IMO they should all be in te same category w only paid bets being able to contribute/receive frags. Guests being able to view so they can see what they are missing is cool.
I feel ery steongly that we really need the tracking system (or new similar version) back for the program to work though.

There used to be dbtc x for super high end frags, but this was abandoned before I joined in 2010... IMO they should all be in te same category w only paid bets being able to contribute/receive frags. Guests being able to view so they can see what they are missing is cool.
I feel ery steongly that we really need the tracking system (or new similar version) back for the program to work though.

I share the same opinion. That's why I'm trying to run with this. It's going to take me some time, since I'm not familiar with any of how the back end works, and I'm doing this on my free time.

If memory serves, and it doesn't always, the whole "Extreme" was simply a way to light a fire under the asses of others, kind of saying "hey I'm not offering Pulsing Xenia frags, I'm offering a Tyree Super Auction Limited Edition Acropora Bullshittia" Not sure that they really held any more "weight" than other frags, although being as the DBTC "rules" were left up to the person giving the frags the person doing so could use an "extreme" rule too if they so desired.

If memory serves, and it doesn't always, the whole "Extreme" was simply a way to light a fire under the asses of others, kind of saying "hey I'm not offering Pulsing Xenia frags, I'm offering a Tyree Super Auction Limited Edition Acropora Bullshittia" Not sure that they really held any more "weight" than other frags, although being as the DBTC "rules" were left up to the person giving the frags the person doing so could use an "extreme" rule too if they so desired.

hmm that's interesting. in any case, i'll probably truncate this 'state' for a dbtc frag.

I believe we opened up the DBTC to guests JUST to view it. No posting or any privileges besides just to be able to look around.
Yep, that's exactly the idea. We want to encourage Supporting Membership and so if Guests can see what's being DBTC'd, then they can get an idea of a small fraction of what they're getting with supporting our club. :)

However, we can always change this if we don't think is a good approach but I thought it was.

Well, I get a lot of PM's from guests that ask for DBTC frags, since they can't post in there.
If I don't pay attention to their status, they could just walk with a frag and I wouldn't even know it.
I told many of them to become a member.

Well, I get a lot of PM's from guests that ask for DBTC frags, since they can't post in there.
If I don't pay attention to their status, they could just walk with a frag and I wouldn't even know it.

Maybe we need to run some kind of education program?

btw i've almost done this myself. that's why i was hoping we could change the status names so it's easy to tell if someone is a "Guest" or a "Supporting Member"

I think Denzil already updated this in the system. Guests should now be labeled as Guests.

Sorry, yes I worded it wrong. I meant to speak in the past tense. I don't know if Robert thinks there still needs something to be done though. Any suggestions would be great.

I thought guests could not PM.
??

Sorry, yes I worded it wrong. I meant to speak in the past tense. I don't know if Robert thinks there still needs something to be done though. Any suggestions would be great.

This suggestion may be more work for you, but since you asked: Perhaps we should make the full DBTC section only accessible to Supporting Members and then provide some sort of splash page for Guests. The splash page would only have the coral name and a photo and wouldn't have member contact information.

I thought guests could not PM.
??

Guests can indeed send PM's. We want to encourage everyone to use the site.

Back