Reef nutrition

Old Hobbyist Getting Back Into It

henergizer

Supporting Member
Hello BAR!

I used to be a member of BAR, but rarely partook in any discussions. Couldn't get access to the original email so I'm starting fresh.

A little about myself, I started the hobby when I was in middle school back in '05. Started with a 20 gallon, using a fish cycle (please don't hate me, I didn't know what I was doing lol). Fast forward joined a couple forums and learned quite a bit. Upgraded to a 24g nanocube, then to a 100g, back down to a 40g, a 29 gallon, and ended back in the 24g within 3 or 4 years. Unfortunately, I lost my account on photobucket with all the pictures I had.

The 24g was running for about a year until the corner cracked, then I downgraded again to a 20g long that I had until I had to move away for college. Gave away most of my livestock but kept majority of the equipment, hoping to making a comeback some day. The only pics I found on my instagram of my 20g softy (zoa dominated) reef and angler

IMG_2282.jpg

IMG_2283.jpg

While in college, I got bit by the reef bug, but had trouble committing due to school. I was only there for 2 years and figured I would just wait it out until I moved back home. Ventured into low tech planted tanks, vivariums, and then reptiles for awhile, but didn't get the same satisfaction I did from saltwater.

Fast forward again, I was browsing through forums and came across a creative container contest/pico reefs that sparked my interest for reefs again. I still have my reptiles so space was a big issue.

I found a cheap Fluval Spec 2 gallon and quickly set that up with some old dead rocks that I had laying around. It was running for a week, until I realized I wanted something slightly bigger. Scavenged around Craigslist for awhile and found a Petco Imagitarium 6.25 gallon tank that looked real nice.

I currently have that cycling right now for about a week now. Met up a fellow reefer on another board who happened to mention BAR, and here I am today!

Very excited to actually engage on the forum as well as in community events!

Here's my current tank:

Petco Imgaitarium 6.25g Bowfront AIO
Upgraded return to Rio 180
2x MP10w (a bit overkill, but the filter section created two dead spots on each side)
Asta 20 Full Spectrum LED (from amazon)

Ignore the white card, currently finding a more sightly alternative for surface skimming

IMG_2272.jpg

Regards,
Henry

Reactions: JVU
Welcome...back.

I happen to have two surface skimmer box like things that were used a while back on JBJ, Oceanic Biocube, Aquapod.
You are welcome to have it.
They were made/used for the sole purpose of surface skimming.

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome!

Definitely feels great to be back, however, it's a bit daunting jumping back into the hobby after such a long hiatus.

When I left, LEDs were just gaining momentum.

So, what's new now? What's currently in? Seems like mushrooms are really hitting it off right now.

Welcome...back.

I happen to have two surface skimmer box like things that were used a while back on JBJ, Oceanic Biocube, Aquapod.
You are welcome to have it.
They were made/used for the sole purpose of surface skimming.

Thank you xcaret! I'll take you up on that offer. Shooting you a PM

Back