Open BOD seat

Discussion in 'General Club Business' started by Coral reefer, Jan 25, 2015.

1. Coral reefer

Coral reefer President

So once again the club finds itself with a volunteer that has not made it through the first month of the year. This saddens and dissapoints me, but it is also an opportunity for someone new to join the BOD and take a greater role in shaping the club. Please post here or pm me if you are interested. The vacant spot is the sponsorship chair, but we can be flexible and shift responsibilities around if need be. Without this spot filled we will not be able to provide all the awesome goodies we would like to for raffles, swaps, etc...
    Our sponsors are a huge part of the club, and we need someone to cultivate (mainly maintain) relationships with the sponsors and be in charge of soliciting and collecting donations from them. The only other responsibility is to care about the club and to come to as many meetings as you can, especially the 4 BOD meetings. Thanks in advance!

2. Enderturtle

Enderturtle Volunteer

Anyone who's done this before. How is the soliciting for donations process handled? Is it like an on going haggle for items/stuff to be raffled or silent auctioned at the meetings? Or is it like "Hey we're having this meeting; we're now accepting donations"?

3. FeliciaLynn

FeliciaLynn Supporting Member

I was handling sponsorship for a while as well as the VP role and its pretty casual. Most of the shops are more than willing to donate for events, so I was just keeping it casual and contacting them a few weeks before an event and letting them know what we needed. From some feedback I got recently, the shops don't seem to like trying to make things more standardized and imposing donation rules. They're always very generous on their own without needing to impose rules on them, so I'd say to keep it casual and just try to keep up a good relationship with them. Also I heard some feedback that they do not like getting asked last minute, so giving them several weeks notice is always a good plan. And yeah, I wouldn't call it haggling. I never had any problem with the stores not wanting to donate, so I found it was best to ask nicely for whatever they were willing to give and just be appreciative and they'd be generous. Jess at Diablo Corals, Karson and Joe at Aquatic Collection, and Cerissa and Robert at Neptune are all super friendly and more than willing to support BAR. :)

neuro and Coral reefer like this.
  4. Coral reefer

Coral reefer President

I was the sponsorship person for two years, what Felicia said was pretty much exactly what the role has been for awhile. There are always possibilities to do more and or do things differently. That and attending the 4 BOD meeting per year will get you free dues!
    (And greatly help the club at an important time when it needs some help!)

5. Enderturtle

Enderturtle Volunteer

What times are the meetings and what day?

6. Coral reefer

Coral reefer President

We will be talking about things after the next general meeting on feb 7. I think the rest of the meetings are posted on te cal lender for the year. Not sure how to link you to it. Its on here somewhere though I swear.

7. jonmos75

jonmos75 Supporting Member

Not sure if this is what you were looking for (Thread) and on some of the dates it says the BOD will have a meeting afterwards

8. Enderturtle

Enderturtle Volunteer

I will apply!

9. BAYMAC

BAYMAC Guest

FWIW you can reach out further then our LFS sponsors for donations.

denzil likes this.
  10. Coral reefer

Coral reefer President

We will, hint hint. Thanks for the reminder!

11. rygh

rygh Supporting Member

Yep! A small sample pack of "Reef Nutrition" pods/feasts would make a great raffle prize.
    There ... a plug ... now he has to come through.
    :)

denzil likes this.