Jestersix

Opinions on AquaMaxx EcoMaxx EM300

I am doing research on the replacement for my skimmer and came across AquaMaxx EcoMaxx EM300. Has anyone tried it and have an opinion ?

Here it is:

http://www.marinedepot.com/AquaMaxx_EcoMaxx_In_Sump_Protein_Skimmer_In_Sump_Venturi_Needle_Wheel_Protein_Skimmers-AquaMaxx-UJ00161-FIPSISNW-vi.html

It is kind of hard to see on the picture but it looks like the bottom of the unit should be detachable. Otherwise how would one replace and service the pump ? Is it so ?

Some background info:

I have shown mine and have seen other's tanks during recent South Bay tank tour and I could not help but notice that people tend to run really large skimmers on their heavily stocked tanks. No big news there, of course. My tank is stocked and I have to constantly work on nutrition export. I think my skimmer is too small. I currently run ATI BubbleMaster 200 that is fed with one Sicce PSK 2500 with a needle wheel. It is _very_ noisy and simply does not seem to produce whole lot of bubbles. It collects quite a bit of gunk during the week, so its not completely idle, but I feel skimmer should do more.

Unfortunately the room in the sump is limited. Maximum footprint for the skimmer is something around 8"x12" or may be one inch more if I push few things around. This limits my choices in skimmers rated for 300G tanks. I have room above the sump though, skimmer can be as tall as 28" or even little bit more.

AquaMaxx seems to fit the bill - it uses Sicce 3.0 which I am familiar with and like it lot, the pump is inside of the base of the skimmer and does not take extra room. If the bottom is detachable, it should be easy to clean. This would be a big plus compared to my ATI which can not be taken apart and so I can never really clean it. Also the price for the AquaMaxx seems to be attractive, compared to other skimmers rated for 300G tanks.

It does not have to be AquaMaxx, I have looked at BubbleMagus and Reef Octopus. Both manufacturers have models with similar footprint but they are more expensive and use pumps I am not very familiar with. But I am also looking at Super Reef Octopus 3000 SSS and BM-220CS. The latter is almost twice as expensive though.

Did I miss some manufacturer or model ?

Also, I'd be glad to buy used if anyone has a unit that fits specifications they want to get rid of

--vk

What size tank do you have?
I do like the specs on the 300 but I would probably use it on a 200 gal or less. That is a great price for that skimmer.

I just upgraded to a super Reef octopus Xp 2000. It's sweet! Pump is super quiet. No restart issues. I'd recommend the super space saver version if that's what you need to get it to fit. Not sure on the 3000 or 4000 for tank size or if it will fit in your sump. Bigger is better if its fits. Kris, kmooresf, uses a 4000 I think? For his 290.

Coral reefer said:
I just upgraded to a super Reef octopus Xp 2000. It's sweet! Pump is super quiet. No restart issues. I'd recommend the super space saver version if that's what you need to get it to fit. Not sure on the 3000 or 4000 for tank size or if it will fit in your sump. Bigger is better if its fits. Kris, kmooresf, uses a 4000 I think? For his 290.
Coral reefer said:

+1 on the SRO series.

Those skimmers look nice. I have no experience with them to say either way. However I can say my SRO (It's an external 6000) has exceeded my expectations for sure. Pumps are efficient and quiet. Running 24/7 for A year and 4 months now.

My tank is 180G, plus two refugiums about 20G each plus frag tank about 15 or 20G. I figure skimmer should be rated to at least 300G

Coral reefer said:

yeah, the 6000 looks great but is probably too big. The 3000SSS should probably fit but just barely. It is powered by "Bubble Blaster HY-3000s" pump. I have no idea what it is. Does anyone have any opinion on it ? Where do you get spare parts ?

I have an SRO-3000 with bubble blaster on my 240G. Very happy with it.
No so sure I would call it super quiet, but certainly better than many
other skimmers I have heard.
I feel mine is actually a tiny bit over-sized. So definitely do not go larger for a 180.

Bigger is better for body and pump, but not throat/neck size.
The problem is they bump the neck size up to 5 inches on the 3000, and 6 inches
on the 5000. If you do not have enough crud, the solid head of foam has trouble forming
for that wide of a neck.

rygh said:
Bigger is better for body and pump, but not throat/neck size.
The problem is they bump the neck size up to 5 inches on the 3000, and 6 inches
on the 5000. If you do not have enough crud, the solid head of foam has trouble forming
for that wide of a neck.

good point, I'll keep this in mind. Thanks !

Holy crap those are some pricy skimmers!

I'm upgrading to a 180 from my 58. I'm using an AquaC EV 120 ... I dread upgrading the skimmer, but I'll see how the EV120 does while I save my pennies. I actually have two of them, but running two skimmers seems silly.

Back