Neptune Aquatics

Orange Crush (I think) Acan Echinata

I have a very nice sized frag (almost 1.5") of what I think is an orange crush echinata. It's got a purple/brown base, green eyes and gets streaks of orange through it in some areas. Grows fast and very hardy. Good beginner LPS coral. It was fragged 2 months ago so it's very healed.

Here's a pic:

509325588_8s6vy-M.jpg

Conditions:
1. Must pick up at my home in San Jose or at Saturday's BAR meeting.
2. Pick a number between 1 and 20.
3. If I lose mine, bump me to the top of the queue.
4. Put two frags back into DBTC before selling or trading.

It's an echinata but doesn't look like an orange crush (which ime has a lot of orange). Either way, it is a nice one! Just give it room :p

Anthony, you can keep them in a wide range of light. I have one right now in really low light and it used to be in high light and it is doing well. Just remember that wherever you put it, that you give it lots of space. Acan Echinatas can (usually just a matter of time) be very aggressive and kill most anything within a few inches of it. I had one before that was constantly attacking things. The one I have now has been completely peaceful for almost a year...just never know when it will change it's mind lol.

It's a beautiful piece, and I've always wanted to give one a try. I'll definitely keep it away from the top of my tank where the halide is. My tank has a lot of areas for those corals that need "medium" or slightly shaded areas. Acan = aggressive, mental note, made, thanks :)

I have an enchinata acan like this in my tank that is in 1/2 light, 1/2 shade. The shaded part is more fleshly and less colorful while the light side is bright and full of color but not fluffy at all and more boney if that makes sense.

Tony, yeah my colony is interesting, most of it looks like the frag that I photographed, but on the underside it is much more orange like what I would expect an orange crush to look like... This is one of the pieces that I grew out from a single head frag and it's now 50% larger than my fist.

Lastduke, yeah my name is Jason. So Eight = Jason. :)

To frag and acan you typically try to score/cut the underside of the colony with a dremel diamond wheel. Try to cut as deep as you can and then when there is just flesh holding the frag to the mother colony, you carefully flip it around and then cut the flesh with a sharp razor blade.

In the past on really thick colonies, (like this one actually), I just scored the top part through the flesh and then took a chisel and hammer to the whole thing. This guy is super tough so I wasn't afraid of losing him.

I'll roll a die for the winner when I get home after work.

Jason, so it is an aggressive coral? so far, my acan didn't kill others. BTW, from the picture, you can see it is trying to expand, do I need to put a rock or plug under its edges to let it grow on ?

My experience with acan echinatas (and subechinatas) is that they can go through some serious color shifting depending upon the lighting and other conditions in the tank. My orange crush isn't terribly orange either but more like a rainbow of colors... well if that rainbow was brown, orange and green :D

Hahaha... sounds a bit like mine Mike. Mine does have some pretty sections, but other sections are more 'muddled'. :p The frag piece has some nice green eyes. It's from one of the prettier parts and will probably change colors depending on lighting as you mentioned.

Lastduke, yes this is an aggressive coral. I have the whole colony sitting low in my tank in the corner. I had a large blue mushroom fall on it once though and it got spanked by the mushie. Recovered easily.

good to know I though it is a peaceful coral because it has very short antenna.
I still have that question, once it is too big to sit on the rock, do I need to put another rock under it to allow it expend?

Back