Kessil

Our DSA Neo 105 Build

How are you liking the Kessil AP700 for your tank width? That's the light I would like to get for my 48" wide tank.

thanks!
I do like the lights, I'm running two of them on my 48" wide tank. I really wish they were controllable from my APEX. I don't like having to join the Kessil WiFi SSID every time I need to make an adjustment. Also your other wifi devices will auto-connect to the Kessil SSID and then they can't reach the internet. The Kessil hardware is great, the software is not the best. The AP700 has great color and a lot of power. Guess I should mention I am also running the Slight Diffusion Optical Kits on my lights.

I do like the lights, I'm running two of them on my 48" wide tank. I really wish they were controllable from my APEX. I don't like having to join the Kessil WiFi SSID every time I need to make an adjustment. Also your other wifi devices will auto-connect to the Kessil SSID and then they can't reach the internet. The Kessil hardware is great, the software is not the best. The AP700 has great color and a lot of power. Guess I should mention I am also running the Slight Diffusion Optical Kits on my lights.
2 AP 700 would be nice. I'm hoping one would be enough [emoji3]. Maybe I need to do a little more reasearch to find a lighting system within my budget.

Thank You

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

2 AP 700 would be nice. I'm hoping one would be enough [emoji3]. Maybe I need to do a little more reasearch to find a lighting system within my budget.

Thank You

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
I ran one for a while and then upgraded to two after 8 months. Two AP700s provide more even light distribution throughout the tank, while one provides more shaded areas. Some corals like those conditions so it just depends on your tank inhabitants. SPS top center, softies and LPS lower and on the outskirts could work. Robert at Neptune runs one AP700 on a 4ft tank.

Last edited:
That is excellent info! I can start off with one and depending on the corals I select opt for a second at a later time.

If my tank looks half as good as yours, I think the wifey would be happy.

thanks again!

You can make the kessils join your wifi instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

You can make the kessils join your wifi instead.

In theory you are suppose to be able to connect the AP700s to your home WIFI. I tried countless time and could not get it to work (many hours wasted). Kessil support didn't want to help troubleshoot connecting to my home wifi and told me to just connect via adhoc (aka directly to the Kessil SSID) because it was more reliable. Now that I have a new WIFI router I am half temped to try again. If I can get it connected, I am concerned that I will loose my config and have to reprogram from the start. I did backup the config to the cloud, but I am not confident in the Kessil software. Maybe I'll just have to try again.

Previously I followed direction but it would never complete. I think I will try it again since I have a different WIFI router than I had when I tried it last. Thanks for the encouragement!

Yeah, with the newer software upgrade it has seemed much more consistent. Before my app wouldn’t be able to find the lights and I would have to periodically set everything back up again (annoying). But it has been good for awhile. Maybe it’s kessil’s way to tell us not to change our lights so much!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I completely understand you @coral4me, I had the same problems as you. After their most recent update I changed from using the kessil ssid (the manufacturer’s recommended method) to using my home WiFi. It was still a pain to get it done but I’ve not had any problems since then with having to rejoin the lights. I also backed the programming up to the cloud which made it go smoother since there were a couple resets to get it done.

@lurker_dude, I have a 48” x 30” and have two ap700’s that I have oriented perpendicularly.

Attachments

• F725D534-3526-458B-874B-DF5E0E777BCF.jpeg
    F725D534-3526-458B-874B-DF5E0E777BCF.jpeg
    123.4 KB · Views: 267
  • C4CC08C1-6883-4124-967F-5D1C0924BA32.jpeg
    C4CC08C1-6883-4124-967F-5D1C0924BA32.jpeg
    130.6 KB · Views: 269
I completely understand you @coral4me, I had the same problems as you. After their most recent update I changed from using the kessil ssid (the manufacturer’s recommended method) to using my home WiFi. It was still a pain to get it done but I’ve not had any problems since then with having to rejoin the lights. I also backed the programming up to the cloud which made it go smoother since there were a couple resets to get it done.

@lurker_dude, I have a 48” x 30” and have two ap700’s that I have oriented perpendicularly.

If you don’t mind, what brand is your tank? I’m planning on upgrading my tank this year and your tank dimensions sounds perfect for where I’m planning to put it.

Checkout the colors that I'm getting in this chalice. It was originally sold as an Emerald Mummy Eye, but I have seen a lot of other emerald mummy eyes that don't get this rainbow color. I think is deserves a better name to distinguish it from the two tone green and orange mummy eyes. I'd like to name it Rainbow Sherbet Mummy Eye. Notice that there are multiple colored eyes. Let me know what you think and if you've seen this before.

Screen Shot 2018-03-12 at 11.01.18 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-03-12 at 10.57.06 AM.png

Below is a picture of it in September of 2016
screen-shot-2016-09-28-at-2-42-06-pm-png.5675

Checkout the colors that I'm getting in this chalice. It was originally sold as an Emerald Mummy Eye, but I have seen a lot of other emerald mummy eyes that don't get this rainbow color. I think is deserves a better name to distinguish it from the two tone green and orange mummy eyes. I'd like to name it Rainbow Sherbet Mummy Eye. Notice that there are multiple colored eyes. Let me know what you think and if you've seen this before.

View attachment 9039
View attachment 9038

Below is a picture of it in September of 2016
screen-shot-2016-09-28-at-2-42-06-pm-png.5675
That’s pretty amazing. If I wasn’t taking down my system I’d ask for a frag. Maybe in a couple years when I start up a new system.

Back