Over feeding?

Discussion in 'Fish and Invertebrates' started by gunit, May 8, 2014.

1. Kensington Reefer

Kensington Reefer Supporting Member

Vince
    Don't use flakes in a feeder
    They are not uniform and you will not achieve the desired result

2. Vincerama2

Vincerama2 Evil Overlord

^^ do you use pellets? My eheim sort of sucks with flakes, like you said.

3. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics Supporting Member

My Eheim works fine for flakes, assuming I give them a good crunch up (i.e. no big flakes) but then I need container that sits on the surface with an open bottom otherwise they float on the surface and while some fish will go to the surface to eat (fatty foxface) quite a bit will go down the overflow, and even with the container to prevent it from floating around some fish will swim up to the container and chow down since the food can't go anywhere (yeah, fatty foxface again).

That said, pellets I"ve used usually don't float very well, and while they will eat them if they see them, I very often find uneaten pellets in the flow dead spots.

4. aqua-nut

aqua-nut Supporting Member

I have mixed results with flakes in my eheim feeders. Pellets are much easier to get consistent amounts dumped.

Even though the pellets are supposed to be sinking, about half don't sink right away. I have one of those blue feeding rings to keep the floaters from going into the overflow. Very few pellets make it to the bottom of the tank. Those that do are found by the shrimp.

Love Mike's comments about his fatty foxface! Mine is starting to get the profile of a boxfish. :) He is the only fish that goes after the floating pellets.

Nav likes this.
  5. Vincerama2

Vincerama2 Evil Overlord

I've seen some flake/pellet hybrid food before, like disks, I think they sank. Lets face it, nothing stays suspended.

6. Kensington Reefer

Kensington Reefer Supporting Member

My frozen stays in suspension long enough to be eaten
    Yum!

Last edited: May 29, 2014
  7. BAYMAC

BAYMAC Guest

FWIW PO4 in with adult fish = nearly the same PO4 output from the fish.

8. Vincerama2

Vincerama2 Evil Overlord

I tried the "rubber band seaweed to a rock" trick, it sort of works. I'll drop it in the tank and they sometimes nibble on it, but since I don't feed them in the morning, anything that was on that rock is gone by the time I get home from work. I'm hoping only the herbivores get hungry enough to go after it so they get some veggies before the mysis/flake feast they get after the humans have dinner. (My kids alternate who gets to pour in the unrinsed, thawed mysis)