got ethical husbandry?

Over feeding?

My Eheim works fine for flakes, assuming I give them a good crunch up (i.e. no big flakes) but then I need container that sits on the surface with an open bottom otherwise they float on the surface and while some fish will go to the surface to eat (fatty foxface) quite a bit will go down the overflow, and even with the container to prevent it from floating around some fish will swim up to the container and chow down since the food can't go anywhere (yeah, fatty foxface again).

That said, pellets I"ve used usually don't float very well, and while they will eat them if they see them, I very often find uneaten pellets in the flow dead spots.

I have mixed results with flakes in my eheim feeders. Pellets are much easier to get consistent amounts dumped.

Even though the pellets are supposed to be sinking, about half don't sink right away. I have one of those blue feeding rings to keep the floaters from going into the overflow. Very few pellets make it to the bottom of the tank. Those that do are found by the shrimp.

Love Mike's comments about his fatty foxface! Mine is starting to get the profile of a boxfish. :) He is the only fish that goes after the floating pellets.

Reactions: Nav
Do note that he doesn't say that rinsing is bad, just that he doesn't think it has any effect. Which I'm hesitant to lean towards either

Now unless I'm reading this wrong and doing the math wrong in my head... and that's a distinct possibility as I grade some of my students papers.... *pulls out hair*

Now lets say you feed 2 of these cubes a day x 30 days, that's 60 times the original value of a single cube which does put it on target with tank levels. So over time it could become quite significant unless you have some level of export.

That being said, I was never specifically saying frozen foods add phosphates, simply the concentration of food that the mysis eats, after peeling back the layers will have the food that all that undesirably algae likes to eat.

FWIW PO4 in with adult fish = nearly the same PO4 output from the fish.

I tried the "rubber band seaweed to a rock" trick, it sort of works. I'll drop it in the tank and they sometimes nibble on it, but since I don't feed them in the morning, anything that was on that rock is gone by the time I get home from work. I'm hoping only the herbivores get hungry enough to go after it so they get some veggies before the mysis/flake feast they get after the humans have dinner. (My kids alternate who gets to pour in the unrinsed, thawed mysis)

Back