Overflow build for a non-drilled tank

Discussion in 'DIY' started by coral4me, May 19, 2016.

1. coral4me

coral4me Supporting Member

A friend of mine bought a DIY sump kit off Amazon and then tried to make a DIY overflow out of PVC pipe. To say the least, it was a serious headache of constant fine tuning to keep it running. So one week I decided to make him a hang-on the back overflow.

IMG_20150916_204553.jpg IMG_20150916_204532.jpg IMG_20150919_025857.jpg IMG_20150919_025923.jpg IMG_20150919_030013.jpg

wpeterson likes this.
  2. roostertech

roostertech reef noob

Very nice, how do you cut the acrylic? Laser cutter?

3. coral4me

Thanks!
    Initial pieces are sized on a 10" tablesaw using a 60 - 80 tooth triple-chip carbide blade. All edges to glued are trimmed with a fence and router. After gluing, the remaining saw cut edges are trimmed with a flush trim router bit (router bit with bearing on top). I chose not to flame polish, because it actually stresses the acrylic and can ultimately lead to crazing (stress cracks).

4. roostertech

roostertech reef noob

I could use a friend that can work acrylic. :p

Man I need to carve out some space to set up routing table. I've been trying to trim route stuff by hand and it never turn out well lol.

5. coral4me

I could probably help, or at least give you some advice to what's going wrong.

6. Vhuang168

Vhuang168 Supporting Member

I'm assuming you have to have an external pump to keep it primed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. roostertech

roostertech reef noob

For the teeth part, did you run a few cut each on the table saw? How did you make the inner edge clean.

8. roostertech

roostertech reef noob

The connector at the top.

9. coral4me

10. coral4me

For the teeth I used a 1/4" dado. How I made it clean? Lots of practice.

11. Newjack

Newjack Supporting Member

practice makes perfect! I can't believe you DIY'd that. Looks freakin bad a**.

wpeterson likes this.
  12. Coral reefer

Coral reefer President

Looks crazy nice, very impressed! Is it a glass tank? Otherwise why not drill it.

13. coral4me

Yeah, it was a glass tank that was already setup.

14. Flagg37

Flagg37 Officer at large

So how exactly does it get water up and over the edge? I know the thing on top was referenced but how does it work?

15. Vhuang168

Vhuang168 Supporting Member

Should be like the CPR hob overflow box

16. coral4me

Sorry I missed the seeing the question. Thanks Vince for answering the question and providing the video.