Our mission

overflow location

I am looking to get a new 55 g acrylic tank (truvu) with a built-in overflow box.
What is your opinion and suggestion in regards the location of tthe box, left, right or center?
Also any suggestions in regards other acrylic tanks brands?

Gus: If you ever want to do a penninsula style tank, where you see through the back, one of the corners might be better. In terms of surface skimming ability, the center logically would be better since it would allow for the most even of surface skimming. But with the pumps we run these days and the crazy surface agitation, it's not as big of a deal.

If you're talking about an internal overflow, go for one of the corners for sure. It gets out of the way and could pair up nicely with a tunze wave box or something at some point ;)

I disagree with Art about the center being the best location to surface skim as it entirely depends on you water flow pattern. Center overflows are about eh ugliest thing you can do to a tank. They are very obtrusive and make aquascaping much harder. I personally like external corner overflows. Since all TruVu's are custom built now ask for an external :) That eliminates the obtrusiveness of the thing and gives you more room in the tank.

I don't know the brands anymore, I went to glass after SoCalCreations closed up. =( I did get one tank from Gen (krittertanks) that I think TimTen now has (and is selling). But that was a long time ago.

Orion said:
Thanks Art and GreshamH for the suggestions
what about any other brand of acrylic tanks besides Truvu?

I get all mine from them and have for 10+ years.

Overflow location completely depends on where you are putting the tank in relation to the room.

If this is going against a wall with three sides visible, you might want to go internal corner if you want to push the tank as close to the wall as possible. Internal offset center against the back (or internal center against the back) might be good too if all three sides are equally visible.

If the tank is going into a wall, then external corner would maximize the interior space and be the most attractive when looking into the tank.

If you're going free standing with all sides visible, then center column might be a possibility, but I agree with Gresham that you'll need to consider aquascaping challenges with the column.

Back