Cali Kid Corals

Overflow question again! (for a remote fuge)

Just when I thought I researched overflows to death I come across yet another application where I feel like "hhmmmmm I'm not sure" so I've come to you folks again to help me decide :p

Over the past 6 months (or longer) I've been running a remote fuge that gravity feeds into my sump but this was an experiment so I used a little dinky acrylic 6g sump. Well now I'm a believer, I love my remote fuge and I get to run separate chambers within for different types of algae & what not. This also makes for a nice space for extra CUC; I have tons & tons of bristle worms, limpets, pods, micro stars, micro snails (not proper name, but they're super tiny) which are all self sustaining populations due to the isolated environment and ultra low flow rate.

Now is the time to build something a little bigger, I have a 12g sump this time that is more shallow and runs a single divider down the middle so maybe throw pretty macro on one side, chaeto on the other or use one side to hold outgoing or incoming corals.

Question is how should I do the overflow? on the old one I just drilled the side & stuck an L facing up.
This time I'd like to make it cleaner and more reliable, DT shall have a full fledged Bean Animal in the Reef Savvy Ghost configuration. I realized that this is a bit much and overkill on something that's not only small but will also be hidden so I'm not as critical on appearance or noise.

Should I:

A- drill a hole & throw a bulky box around it? (sort of like glassholes)
B- get an even bulkier overflow box & put 2 L's inside for redundancy?
C- build a slim 1" thick overflow box, drill & install 2 bulkheads and attach an external durso?

I know this is a bit long for a simple fuge but I thought I'd get all my thoughts out first so you have all the details when making a recommendation :)

Thanks for letting me borrow your brains...

You should consider it a second display tank.
You have outgrown the concept of a remote fuge, and really have two main tanks.

Thus, C seems the obvious best choice. Although you may want more flow, so a bit larger.

lol I love the words of encouragement Mark and I have wanted a display fuge for years, but...
I plan to run a 12g frag tank & I prospectively only have room for only one remote tank to display besides DT and I figured frags will look cool on display and easy to monitor. Another benefit is frag lighting will be on with DT whereas fuge is the contrary, and lastly I it has to go above DT, frag tank will go under.

C- you're right about box thickness, I've been staring at the ghost overflow too long :confused: maybe 2" thick and go panel to panel (sideways coast to coast)?

No, I gave up on that because my DT grows sponges like crazy and the amount of living things in my fuges far outweighs what a cryptic fuge can do. I hopped onboard a micro star thread on nanoreef and when all was said & done I agreed to ship 100 micro stars to various reefers which had me worried until I started yanking chaeto out of one of my fuges, low and behold it was packed full of micro stars, collonista snails, bristle worms, not to mention the tiny stuff you can't see w/ the naked eye. I do have 2 fuges, one in my sump & one remote, with this upgrade I plan to eliminate the in-sump fuge and use the space for ATS or ATS's. I guess my sump will become the cryptic zone once I eliminate its fuge section.

Back