Reef nutrition

Oyster Feast damaging coral?!

Hello everyone,

I spot fed some coral oyster feast last night and today I noticed that some tissue on my corals that I spot fed has died/receded! This happened to my paly grandis , tangerine dreams grow out chalice, dendro, and walking dendro! I have had a few issues with my acans tissue becoming damaged in the past and I never thought it could be my food. Has this ever happened to anyone? Maybe I overfed? I will post some pictures later tonight.

Thanks,
Steven

i feed that stuff twice a week with no issues to my acans and zoas and sps along with reef roids ( which Im trying for the first time )

I've had the same happen to me before.
I NOW leave all pumps on while introducing the oyster feast to the tank, this way the food doesn't have time to just sit on the tissue of the coral.

I've had the same happen to me before.
I NOW leave all pumps on while introducing the oyster feast to the tank, this way the food doesn't have time to just sit on the tissue of the coral.
Hmmm. I never thought of that. I turn my pumps off for about 10-15 mins so they can eat. When I turn them on the excess gets blown around for broadcast feeding. I wonder if there could be dead spots where it doesn't get blown off. I just had a monti mysteriously die.

Weird one thing I know for mushrooms is not to let food sit on the coral.

If you feed a bounce mushroom but the food isnt eaten and sits on the coral, it can damage it.

yes I agree with EnderTurtle, I don't think its a good ideal to just let the food sit on the coral tissue. For some reason the food will damage the tissue. FYI: It has happen with different foods, Roe, oyster feast comes to mind, it has happened with for sure.

Make sure the temperature is the same with the tank temp. If use oster feast right after from refrigerator it will cause issue.

To touch on what I said earlier when I feed I don't turn off anything. Pumps still run. I'll spot feed but I know food is not just sitting on them. That's why I probably never ad that problem

Thanks for all the advice. I believe I left the food sitting on the tissue too long. Had the flow off for too long. I will feed with the flow on from now on, or at least turn it on immediately after feeding. Nothing has died, just some tissue loss.

Back