Par meter in use? And question about lighting.

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Bruce Spiegelman, Mar 8, 2017.

1. Bruce Spiegelman

Bruce Spiegelman Supporting Member

Just installed a new fixture over my frag tank and would love to borrow the PAR meter so I can figure out what height to adjust it too. Also love to take opinions on this in the meantime.

Its a 25 gallon frag tank. 16" deep. The fixture is a 4 bulb ATI T5's with two Reef Brite XHO LEDS on either dise. How high should I adjust it over the top of the water for now so I don't shock the corals. It's replacing a 2 bulb T5 reef bright hybrid with a single XHO. The Reef Brite fixture was 8" off the water.

2. Coral reefer

Coral reefer President

3. Bruce Spiegelman

Thanks!

4. Gablami

Gablami Supporting Member

I have the par meter now. Here's a line to use next though. Signup at the par meter borrowing thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Bruce Spiegelman

Thanks -- forgot it had a seperate thread.

6. Newjack

Newjack Supporting Member

that's a lot of light for a 25 gal. tank

7. Bruce Spiegelman

Yeah --- I went back and forth on whether to pick it up, but the price was right. And it looks pretty bad-ass.......

8. Bruce Spiegelman

Just an update. I spoke to ATI directly about the light and since it's primarily going to be over SPS they thought it was a good fit. They did day to start it at 18-22" off the water line though! Then bring it down about an inch a week till I find the right spot.

9. Coral reefer

Coral reefer President

If you double the distance you get 1/4 the light. You doubled the light, so I say 1.5 x the distance should be pretty close to what you had

Bruce Spiegelman likes this.
  10. Bruce Spiegelman

That's good knowledge! Thanks.

11. rygh

rygh Supporting Member

Note that you can also just run with 3 bulbs for a while until corals get used to it.