Our mission

patrickb's Anemone Propogation Tank

I got the following beauty thanks to Mike (sfsuphysics). This is definitely one of the nicer "regular" rose BTAs that I've seen. Its bright pink with a green/turquoise base. Under Mike's LEDs they really popped. Anyways, it seems to be doing pretty well in the anemone prop tank along with the previously mentioned Dolphin Pet Village Purple and Green Anemone.

As you can see above, I was also able to catch the two clownfish in my display tank in the middle of the night and put them into the anemone prop tank. They're a lot happier now that they're around anemones again. They both started to get small dark spots which I think is called Black Ich/Paravortexin all over their bodies from the stress of not having an anemone to sleep in at night. My fish had a mild case (only about 10 or 15 spots). Here is what a really bad case looks like:
61Unknown-black_spots.JPG

After 1 week in the anemone they're were both cured and happily hanging out in the anemones and going in and out of the pvc piping.

After the frag swap today I went over to Aquatic Collections to use their band saw and cut up some frags. While I was there I saw a very unique and really good looking anemone--a dark rose colored anemone with a very faint green base and purple tips. The price was just too good to pass up so I bought it. I acclimated it and put it into my tank and it looks like its already splitting into 2. See below (anemone farthest to the right)--I wish my camera didnt blow and could take better up-close pictures.

Yeah, those clowns have it made now. Three different anemones to choose from. No one else in their tank. Lots of food. :) And its only gonna get better as the anemones get bigger and multiply.

Yep. The middle one is yours. The colors have totally changed under my lighting. The turquoise isn't as strong or vibrant as it was while in your tank. I think it looks much more orange as well.

Yeah, that turquoise was something I noticed in the old tank when the halide went off and the actinics were only on... however under LEDs which I think I had a 5:7 mix of white to royal blue, naturally has quite a bit of blue all the time. Oh well, you'll have 20 of those guys before you know it ;)

That dark one does look quite neat though, almost looks like there's no light on it at all.

I look forwards to see how this works out for you Patrick.

I have a project in the works with PAR38 12K w/80 degree optics on a nano tank (7 gal)

patrickb said:
That's good to hear. Has it split yet?

It hasn't split but it's huge. Approx. 12 inches in diameter. I'm actually getting a bit concerned it will start extending and sting my SPS. When it starts to extend close to my SPS, I've been lightly poking the extended area of the nem disc, and it will retract back a bit. I've been doing this periodically with much success. It seems my nem has learned to extend differently and not into areas I don't want it, or where it will be poked.

Of course these are just my observations, and it could be just coincidence the nem now extends differently.

177ike said:
patrickb said:
That's good to hear. Has it split yet?

It hasn't split but it's huge. Approx. 12 inches in diameter. I'm actually getting a bit concerned it will start extending and sting my SPS. When it starts to extend close to my SPS, I've been lightly poking the extended area of the nem disc, and it will retract back a bit. I've been doing this periodically with much success. It seems my nem has learned to extend differently and not into areas I don't want it, or where it will be poked.

Of course these are just my observations, and it could be just coincidence the nem now extends differently.
I have a nice surgery lot for that....

eldiablosrt8 said:

I've been eyeing my butcher's knife with that thought in mind. Only problem is I have two clowns hosting the nem, Maroons.. I understand it also takes time for nems to heal after cutting them in half.. I'd think slicing my nem might disrupt my reef just a bit. The Maroons will go crazy for sure.

177ike said:
eldiablosrt8 said:

I've been eyeing my butcher's knife with that thought in mind. Only problem is I have two clowns hosting the nem, Maroons.. I understand it also takes time for nems to heal after cutting them in half.. I'd think slicing my nem might disrupt my reef just a bit. The Maroons will go crazy for sure.

Big maroons like big nems :)

Takes about 2 weeks for healing.

Back