Kessil

patrickb's Anemone Propogation Tank

Good to hear that the GBTA is thriving in your friend's tank.
The one I got for some reason is not doing quite well. The size has decreased by about 2 inches (event loosing some of its colors).
I have the other 2 RBTAs thriving and growing larger than ever. It's weird cuz all the BTAs are in the same tank, lighting and spot too

jellygeee, I think the reason your anemone is dying is because there is some chemical warfare going on between the anemones. Most people say you shouldn't have different types of anemones in a tank (bubble tips, long tentacle, etc) because the anemones will release nematocysts(spelling?) and one of the anemones will inevitably lose. I think that bubble tips can have chemical warfares with other bubble tips. I've seen it happen in my tank and my friends' tanks that just had bubble tips in their tanks. This is why I currently have only one type of anemone in my tank. My recommendation is to stick with one or two (max) different types of anemones in your system.

In other news, I saw some really suspicious behavior coming from my naked clownfish last night. They kept nipping at the anemones and the surrounding pvc pipes. Sure enough, this morning I found that they had spawned and laid a ton of eggs! Its the first time ever that I've had a clownfish spawning event in my tank. I think they're really happy in the prop tank and really appreciate being separated from the other fish in the display tank. Robin, you want to try raising these little guys? :)

Patrick, great news and that shows that they are very, very happy!!! I do have one spare hatchout tank at the moment, so if you want to try and transfer them over a day or two before hatching, we can give it a go. In all likelihood given past experience it may take a couple attempts, but it would be interesting to see what proportion of babies from this pair retain the bar-less patterning (or lack of patterning, I guess!)

Patrick: Thanks for the explanation. It makes sense to a degree. I was aware of some chemical warfare between the anemones (read other member's tank journal too (I believe it is Eight?) where he had a tank crash). I decided to stick with the GBTA since a lot of members here have some success with it.

Glad to see your clowns are spawning. =)

Here are some pics of my friend's tank. He says that the 1 anemone I gave him has turned into 8 now. I love it that they're propagating so well. (There's a hammer coral in there that looks like an anemone, thereby adding to the whole wall to wall tentacles carpet look)

Nice build Patrick! Looks like the RBTAs are doing well under the LEDs. I have a side question for you concerning the pvc pipes. Don't know if you have tested this yet, but do the anemones stay put in the pvc pipe when you put them back into the DT?

Did a 10 percent water change yesterday and about 1 hour later this happened:

[YouTube]6rwW74SMsBM[/YouTube]

At first I thought there was a problem with one of the pumps since I thought what I was seeing was hundreds of bubbles.

I'm giving away two of my green tipped anemones that my friend gave me. They're not doing so well in my tank and I want to get them out before they get worse:
http://www.bareefers.org/home/node/9771?page=2#comment-173126

Its another flame anemone. Its a regular rose that is supposed to have super bright yellow tips. I bought it over the internet so I'm not really sure what I'm getting. I'll definitely post some pics though when it comes in.
Patrick

Well its been a while since I last posted. I sold 4 of my sunburst anemones, traded one for a "rainbow anemone," and kept one in my propagation tank--which I still want to sell so if anyone wants it let me know.

The anemone I ordered online was a HUGE disappointment. I was supposed to get a flame rose anemone. It arrived and had the slightest, and I mean just barely discernable, amount of yellow on the tips. I called the vendor and told him it looked nothing like the 3 photos he had posted--which showed much more contrast between the yellow and rose in the tentacles and also had much more yellow in it. The vendor said that it looked like one of the photos and that the other two next to it were from another anemone. He also said that you needed to put the anemone under heavy actinics to see the yellow (which is just bogus since you can make a bunch of things look cool and awesome under actinics). I wanted the anemone to look awesome under 14k lighting. Anyways, I haggled and hassled for my at least a partial refund but the guy wouldnt budge. I'm debating calling VISA and letting them know that I was given something different than what I ordered and that I had been tricked into buying the anemone.

Anyways, I've learned my lesson. I'm never gonna buy anemones over the internet--I'll need to either see them personally, or get them from someone I trust. Some other reefers have told me similar things have happened to them when they have tried to buy flames online. There's just a ton of people out there that hype up something (through their descriptions and photoshop) that really isn't very special. I know this stuff happens a lot but I always thought I was savvy enough to avoid it.

Sorry to hear that Pat. But in regards to under heavy actinics that's what is happening a lot now adays especially with zoanthids/palys with a super macro shot.

Care to say who the vendor is that screwed you so that we don't make the same mistake?

I got a rare, new fish for the tank 2 weeks ago. One of these:
http://www.rcthawaii.com/angel/6.htm#acanthops

Her name is umfufu after one of my wife's favorite comedy bits:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cq8nUyO-0SY

Upon her arrival, I evicted the two clownfish temporarily so that the new gal could have my anemone frag tank to herself. I did this to make sure new fish would eat and not be too intimidated by the other fish in my main display tank. She's now cruising in and out of the pvc pipes and merrily eating up formula two flake food.

Back