High Tide Aquatics

Patricks 50 gal. cube

That is a cramped stand. I am over a CA reactor so i don't need that anymore. Dosing just makes more sense to be now.

I have the aqaufuge on the back with the light tree between the fuge and the tank. The standoffs for the fuge are long enough to allow this. No problems yet to report. I use the gap between the two tanks to run the power chords.

I'll try that standpipe idea. I haven't tried that one yet as I normally run herbie drains. Why did you use (2) airline tubes?

Save your money on the fan:
http://www.coolerguys.com/840556058199.html
Looks like the same thing to me.

Hey Patrick,
One thing that I do and doubt many others employ is the "transfusion" method of water change. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it. :|

Why? I have been exposing corals to the air for years, never a problem. You will be better off spending your time siphoning off your LR doing a water change then watching water levels.

Qwiv said:
Why? I have been exposing corals to the air for years, never a problem. You will be better off spending your time siphoning off your LR doing a water change then watching water levels.

No doubt, I did a 50 gallon water change earlier this week and my corals were exposed for quite a while, the trick is to do it with your halides off otherwise your corals may overheat.

Qwiv said:
It's really quite simple and automated as my water changes are quick and easy. Each to their own "everybody's got their own way"..........that's not a bad thing :)

I was hoping to find your tank thread to see a pic of your set-up after years of seasoning! hint hint but I couldn't find it. :(

How's it automated? Love to see that. Had a tank once that was semi automated. Was great.
I'll get some pix up of my tank soon. Would love to say it's seasoned, but it's brand new due to a move.
Managed to keep a few corals as frags.

Qwiv said:
That is a cramped stand. I am over a CA reactor so i don't need that anymore. Dosing just makes more sense to be now.

I have the aqaufuge on the back with the light tree between the fuge and the tank. The standoffs for the fuge are long enough to allow this. No problems yet to report. I use the gap between the two tanks to run the power chords.

I'll try that standpipe idea. I haven't tried that one yet as I normally run herbie drains. Why did you use (2) airline tubes?

Save your money on the fan:
http://www.coolerguys.com/840556058199.html
Looks like the same thing to me.

Yea working with little space sucks...I decided to keep all the equipment just incase i upgrade later on tho.

I used 2 airline tubes becuase when i had only 1 it made a whistling sound from all the air being sucked in. With 2 its pretty much silent once you have the proper height dialed in on the coupling.

Thanks for the link to the fan! you just saved me $100!

screebo said:
Hey Patrick,
One thing that I do and doubt many others employ is the "transfusion" method of water change. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it. :|

Ive tried this before with a litermeter but found it took alot more water to make a considerable difference with nutrient levels versus doing it the traditional way. The way its set up i can do a 5 gallon w/c in about 10 minutes as long as i have mixed water already, so its not too bad. As long as i remember to take off the skimmer cup or turn of one of the sicce pumps its all good.

sfboarders said:
Looks good Patrick. Might be cluttered underneath but it looks neat and organized to me.
Thanks John! it took alota zipties, velcro, and two side tape to get it to look half way decent.

Qwiv said:
How's it automated? Love to see that. Had a tank once that was semi automated. Was great.
I'll get some pix up of my tank soon. Would love to say it's seasoned, but it's brand new due to a move.
Managed to keep a few corals as frags.
The more I pay attention to what you and other "long term" BAR members are doing, the more I learn! H)
Well, when say automated, that's a loose interpretation. lol My automation is having my hoses exactly the right length to drop into the tank, start the siphon on the South hose and the pump for the sea water holding tank for the North hose and watch it run. It takes about 15 minutes to exchange about 20-30 %. My observation is that despite the ability for acros and other corals to be exposed to the air (as occurs in daily in nature for some coral) that my tanks have "seemed" to be happier when the water level stays relatively constant. I've got quite a bunch of fish my tank and again, I've observed that a 30% reduction in the water level cause most fish I've owned a fair amount of stress. Now that I keep some more delicate fish, I'm very cautious about introducing factors that might cause undo stress for coral or fish.
I'd love to see your tank and chat sometime. Maybe we'll hook up at a BAR meeting. Of course you're welcome to visit my tank and do a little tank raiding as well. :)

Well, I have always believed that when I do a water change I need to get more than water out. Goes back to the bare bottom days when you siphoned the tank.

I like to clean my rocks so I either siphon them during water changes or blow them off and run the return into a filter sock. On my old tanks I would do a big water change by turning off my sump and completely cleaning it out and replacing with clean water. This allowed me to remove all the sediment in the sump and check on all the equipment. This worked because my natural filters like refugiums were always separate.

Currently I am skimming wet and replacing that water with salt as required. Its like a small water change everyday. A lot of the big aquariums do something like this and a few locals too. It is nice because you can control how much and fast you are lowering the nutrients in your tank.
Haven't dialed it in on this tank yet but worked great on the last one. I could skim out 5 gal of dirty water in a day if I wanted too. Figured that must have equaled at least a 20 gal water change. The ATO filled the tank back up. I hung a filter sock with the perfect amount of salt in the overflow after each 5 gal of skimmate removed.

Qwiv said:
Well, I have always believed that when I do a water change I need to get more than water out.

+1....Every water change is a chance to get all that crap my corals and fish dont eat out before it turns into a problem.

iani said:
Good job on utilizing all the space under the stand. haha. Looking good Patrick.

Dude i think i have more water volume in my stand than i do in my tank...hahaha

picked up some new stuff....if my girlfriend ever talks to any of you guys one day tell her i bought these off you for $10..

045.jpg

029-1.jpg

031-1.jpg

A couple new maxi minis

038.jpg

042-1.jpg

That brown frogspawn in the back is a frag of the first LPS I owned 7 years ago

049.jpg

As mean as they are i had to get one (daughters favorite fish)

046.jpg

The one fish i have the bullies a six line

050.jpg

My daughter side bustin in the background

037.jpg

left side

041.jpg

right side

033-1.jpg

FTS

finalphaze987 said:
lol...shes my future reefer...she already knows how to test for alk, Ca, and Po4 with the hanna checker

Way to raise them up early in the hobby...mine still like to feed and wipe down the glass. ;)

gimmito said:
finalphaze987 said:
lol...shes my future reefer...she already knows how to test for alk, Ca, and Po4 with the hanna checker

Way to raise them up early in the hobby...mine still like to feed and wipe down the glass. ;)

now if we could only train them to do waterchanges and clean the skimmer life would be so much easier haha

Back