Jestersix

Pax Bellum ARID reactor

Interesting.
Looks like a very expensive renamed algae scrubber. :confused:
Ok, Chaeto not turf/hair algae, but I don't really see much difference.
Odd that they went with a white light.

I think it would be a great option if you were tight on space. If you had the room for a refugium I think I'd stick with that option though. It looks like it would grow the chaeto really quickly and there isn't a whole lot of room in it. I wonder how often it would need to be cleaned out. I'm not sure how well pod propagation would occurr in it either.

They recommend a pump for it but I wonder if you could plumb it off your return pump and have it drain back into your sump. You'd for sure need a gate/ball valve to bring down the flow.

The co2 port seems like it would grow it even faster if you've also already got a ca reactor going.

There have been many diys of a cheato reactor. I think this one is very well engineered. LEDs are on the inside wrapped around a heat pipe. Heat sink is on the top of the chamber. Users have reported N n P at 0 11 days after 1st starting. In all examples I've read, they had to dose N n P bk into the system, reduce light period etc. I think of it as a chaeto/algae scrubber on steroids.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There have been many diys of a cheato reactor. I think this one is very well engineered. LEDs are on the inside wrapped around a heat pipe. Heat sink is on the top of the chamber. Users have reported N n P at 0 11 days after 1st starting. In all examples I've read, they had to dose N n P bk into the system, reduce light period etc. I think of it as a chaeto/algae scrubber on steroids.

I'm not too sure what all that means there at the end.

Looks like there will be alternatives to an ARID. Skimz just debuted a prototype and Ultrareef has a media reactor you can retrofit into 1.

Macroalgae refugia are a great way to export nutrients and support a colony of benthic life, but this is probably the most expensive and not necessarily effective way to grow macroalgae. They do look kind of cool, though.

If you want a lot of algae growth for nutrient export - you need a lot of light and a lot of flow. Chaeto will grow into itself and prevent proper flow if left unchecked - it required trimming/maintenance every 2-4 weeks depending on how fast it's growing.

People have great luck doing that in a sump/refugium. You can probably also do it in a Pax Bellum reactor, but not sure why you'd pay the premium.

Back