Peppermint Shrimp

Discussion in 'Buy, Sell, Trade' started by Mark B, Sep 28, 2017.

1. Kremis

Kremis Supporting Member

you could just hatch your own. brine are very easy to raise. just fill a jar or soda bottle with saltwater and put in some brine eggs, add a bubbler, and a light. they will hatch in a few days. once they hatch, add in some phyto feast or other phytoplankton as food.

2. Mark B

Mark B Supporting Member

Is there any reason I cant throw some brine eggs into my 55g culture of Rotifers, Tiggers, and Apocyclops?

3. Kremis

Kremis Supporting Member

dont think so as long as there is phyto. they need a light to hatch.

4. jepoy

jepoy Supporting Member

You're culturing tiggers now as well? Is it as easy to culture as apocyclops? I've read that tiggers are cold water pods and are much more difficult to culture in a home aquarium. Do you do anything different with them? I just ordered some tiggers that should be coming in tomorrow. I was just going to throw them in the tank to give my mandarin a special treat, but if they can be cultured then I'll put them in with my apocyclops culture instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

5. Mark B

Mark B Supporting Member

I have always had Tiggers. The cold water is a myth. I believe they do better with brown algae as a feedstock, but I feed the 55g culture RG complete. It has ClorAm-X which keeps the ammonia from spiking. I think if you just pour the bottle into the tank, they will all be eaten or starve before they reproduce. Kinda funny when you look at a bottle of Tiggers, doesnt look like there is much in it.
    On a side note, we picked up some brine shrimp eggs for Peter to play with. Although they lack any real nutrition for the tank, they are fun to grow. Who didnt have "Sea Monkeys" as a kid?

Coral reefer likes this.
  6. jepoy

jepoy Supporting Member

Oh I thought tiggers were the one of the most visible pods, the orange-brownish ones. I remember when reef nutrition gave me free tiggers at the coral farmers market you could see a ton of them swimming in the bottle. I may be getting my pods confused lol

7. Mark B

Mark B Supporting Member

You are not getting them confused. Perhaps I need to put on my glasses next time I look at a bottle of pods

8. ashburn2k

ashburn2k Supporting Member

https://aquariumdepot.com has shrimps in stock, get em while they still stock them.

9. jepoy

jepoy Supporting Member

I guess we're both correct, just read online that tiggers eventually lose their color.

10. Mark B

Mark B Supporting Member

I wont know if the Shrimp are coming til at least the 16th.