Kessil

Petco to Acquire Rhinelander Based Drs. Foster and Smith

Nav

Never was a fan of Petco but purchased a lot from F&S, not sure how crazy things will get... Now expect to see Petco (almost dying) fishes in LiveAquaria ;)
_____

Petco, a nationwide pet supply store, will acquire Rhinelander based Drs. Fosters and Smith, according to a press release.

According to the release, Drs. Foster and Smith is the nation's largest catalog and online seller of pet supplies.

http://www.wsaw.com/home/headlines/...der-Based-Drs-Foster-and-Smith-283261881.html

http://reefbuilders.com/2014/11/19/...g-buy-drs-foster-smith-including-liveaquaria/

Damn.. considering Petco has been a crappy retailer, I wonder how this is going to effect the prices on the salt I get.

It might help Drs F&S compete.
I stopped even looking there, since Amazon, BRS, and Marine Depot are so much better.

As far as Liveaquaria ... hard to say.
Probably good short term because of extra capital. I see so many "out of stock" these days.
Likely bad long term, as corporate culture infiltrates from Petco.

FYI: Our local Petco is not so bad. Better than some LFS I have seen.
When I was doing fresh water, I bought quite a few fish there.
Way better than the wholesalers, and guess were all local stores get their fish.

hope it doesn't impact LiveAquaria..... sucks if it does.
I agree I remembering ordering them before Drs F&S purchased them....Flying Fish Express.....and you can still goggle ffexpress.com and you get Drs F&S (LiveAquaria)

Has anybody ordered from Vivid Aquarium?

Jon

It might help Drs F&S compete.
I stopped even looking there, since Amazon, BRS, and Marine Depot are so much better.

As far as Liveaquaria ... hard to say.
Probably good short term because of extra capital. I see so many "out of stock" these days.
Likely bad long term, as corporate culture infiltrates from Petco.

FYI: Our local Petco is not so bad. Better than some LFS I have seen.
When I was doing fresh water, I bought quite a few fish there.
Way better than the wholesalers, and guess were all local stores get their fish.

Guess where Petco gets their fish :lol: Uhh, the wholesalers ;)

Live Aquaria out of stock has nothing to do with LA and all to do with AVAILABILITY of said livestock. They don't stock those fish, those are what are available at the wholesalers. Wait, what? They all get their livestock from the wholesalers? ;)

The intent of the purchase wasn't to improve DF&S....

I agree I remembering ordering them before Drs F&S purchased them....Flying Fish Express.....and you can still goggle ffexpress.com and you get Drs F&S (LiveAquaria)

Has anybody ordered from Vivid Aquarium?

Jon

Vivid is excellent. I'd order from them again in a heart beat.

Yah, FFE days, they had it all when no one else did.

Guess where Petco gets their fish :lol: Uhh, the wholesalers ;)

Live Aquaria out of stock has nothing to do with LA and all to do with AVAILABILITY of said livestock. They don't stock those fish, those are what are available at the wholesalers. Wait, what? They all get their livestock from the wholesalers? ;)

The intent of the purchase wasn't to improve DF&S....

Yep. The intent is much more evil...ooops...said too much...

Crush your enemies
See them driven before you
Hear the lamentation of their woman!

That's why Petco bought them, they are an enemy, and they probably weren't going to move them into obscurity in the online market, so once F&S were willing to sell PetCo has the financial backing to buy them out. At the very least I'm happy it said they were acquired, as opposed to some where they push the publicity as "We're joining force!!" Also F&S is not just fish... in fact I would be very surprised if it wasn't a very tiny aspect of their operation (judging by how many dog & cat catalogs they send me).

As to the live fish side of things, the only times I even considered ordering from them was recently when I was looking for very specific fish that my non-existent L FSes never get. But luckily a trip to the east bay found some of what I'm looking for, I'm just not on close enough terms with any of them to request a particular fish. And I do have to say, considering LA fish are coming directly from the wholesalers (in LA) I'm not exactly saving much money if any at all (and that's before shipping costs too!). Besides there can be any number of things wrong with a fish, it's better to simply see it before I buy it.

Doesn't really work like that.
Just being hopeful but I'm not holding out. It really depends on the terms of the acquisition and who's running the show at Petco. Obviously, they were smart enough to make the acquisition before Petsmart did so maybe, just maybe, there's some light.

Just being hopeful but I'm not holding out. It really depends on the terms of the acquisition and who's running the show at Petco. Obviously, they were smart enough to make the acquisition before Petsmart did so maybe, just maybe, there's some light.

Ha... not really...

The Petco investment group has been looking to acquire PetSmart.

Back