Our mission

Peter's Garage Tank

Have the day off today so working a bit on the tanks and pondering getting another fish while on the LFS tour tomorrow. The possible candidates are:
- Yellow Coris - I hear they will help with Vermatids
- Leopard Wrasse - Pretty, but hard to raise?
- Six Line - Never got a chance to enjoy the other one we had for 2 days
- Mandarin - as much as I want a pair, I have not bee able to confirm whether I currently have a female or male

Our tank is top-less so I guess any of these fish could bail.
Any recommendations??
Get a lid! Window screen or egg crate or glass.

So I had a brain fart o_O I really wanted to get to the bottom of sexing the Mandarin that I already have and can never get it to show its dorsal. Then boom it hit me put a mirror on the tank and voila, it puffed up and she is a ..........he. I was sold 2 males. I guess with no "guarantee" from the LFS (and BAR advertiser) I am biting the bullet on my $24 dollar dead fish - damn!! Anyhow, I think I will find him a girlfriend. We have lots of pods. Its a cruddy pic. but can definitely see a spike.
rrr.png

Good thinking with the mirror! If you're not worried about pods, I really like my melanarus wrasse too. Mellow and easy going, but always hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yeah all the wrasses you listed eat pods. if you want a wrasse that doesnt, flasher and fairy wrasses do not pick at the rockwork / eat pods

Lots of beautiful fairy wrasses that are planktonic.

One if my favorites, if I ever find one.

1502b755c45a53bbdeac437ed75c2e3e.jpg

Get a lid if you want to reduce losses. I won't say prevent since they seem to squeeze through the tiniest cracks that you would swear they could never fit through.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess it would be out of my price range? We have a supposed female Mandarin on hold at A/C and will pick it up on "the LFS tour" tomorrow. We also ordered half a dozen Peppermint Shrimp last week, and perhaps they will be in. Nobody seems to have any these for the past 5-6 weeks.

I am done with egg crate. I have never liked the look of it and it is just a magnet for a bunch of crap that you cant really clean. The Sea Hares and Emerald Crabs keep the main tank pretty clean but they wont go onto the egg crate in the frag tank and eat the algae. Peter decided we could drill holes in some of our old rocks to fit the frag plug stems and create a "mini reef" frag tank. So he got started with the hammer drill and we are now egg crate free- yay!! It needs more work but I think it is going to be much better, and it will probably be better for cultivating pods than a plastic grid. These frags are just the left over remnants after gluing a lot of frags directly onto rocks in the main tank.
Cheers!
eggg.png

Of the many hundreds of corals that peter looked at today, he picked this one. One polyp attached to a old shell. Gotta say, it is pretty!
polyp.png

The powerhead in the frag tank went on the fritz today. Stuck my hands in the tank to get it going and BZZZTT, got a good shock! Kinda felt like that kids game Operation only without the noise and more "real". Perhaps this was the leading culprit in my stray electricity. It has been replaced.
The mandarins are alive and feasting and yes, I still have plenty of pods!
Through the generosity of everyone at the frag making meeting that gave Peter frags and getting all this live rock with corals, we have a lot of corals that I would like to know exactly what they are? (I am a newbie!!) Lets start with this one. It is a Monti? Anything more specific? It looks very happy and I believe the green on the edges is new growth? It is about 2" x 3"

monti2.png

Back