Our mission

Peter's Garage Tank

Picked this up at the CFM and I have no idea what it is? Is it a Platy? It has fully covered the frag plug. I believe we got it from Reef Raft

unknown.png

Thanks Randy! Yes, it is a Reef Raft Meteor Shower Cyphastrea - or I should say now it is 4 meteor showers. We quartered the frag plug, glued one piece onto the rockwork and put 3 into the frag tank.
Cheers!

Thanks Randy! Yes, it is a Reef Raft Meteor Shower Cyphastrea - or I should say now it is 4 meteor showers. We quartered the frag plug, glued one piece onto the rockwork and put 3 into the frag tank.
Cheers!
IMG_0029.JPG

Aggressive coral. This was mine, It grew super fast. Sold the whole rock a few weeks ago

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have been adding 20ml of live Phyto to our tank everyday for 6 weeks. While everything looks real happy, I have noticed that most of the Coralline algae has disappeared. It has been replaced with a bit of brown algae. Its not a bloom, just a slight accumulation. My guess is that the live Phyto is out competing the Coralline and at 20ml per day, we are adding more than is consumed. I think I am going to cut our dose of live phyto in half. We don't have gha anymore, which is a positive. The other thing I noticed it that the brown algae seems to be growing better in the frag tank than the DT, even though they are plumbed together.
Cheers!

So I started a thread about our building a sump/refugium and I thought I would just move it over here to the tank journals. Anyway, we are going to add a 55 gallon tank to our garage system. Have not really figured out what will be in it but there is a lot of work to do before that time comes. Got off work a little early today and had time to run 2 new dedicated 15 amp circuits from the panel to the aquarium wall. I have the first 2 GFCI outlets installed (one for each circuit) I installed one white and one light almond. I plan to run more conduit and outlets and I figure if one circuit is white and the other almond, I will quickly be able to see what is what . Next on the schedule is building a permanent stand on the left side of the display for the frag tank.
Cheers! Mark

Doing a little planning here and we are going to start running a skimmer in our new sump. My question as I ponder the first baffle: does it touch the bottom? how tall should it be? Any input would be very helpful. Here is a pic. of the skimmer we have. Do I need to worry about water level?

skimmer.png

You need to search for the recommended water level of that skimmer, Is it an ASM?
You can always build a stand for the skimmer if it sits too deep in the sump.
AFA baffles, I've used a piece of wood under the bubble trap, a 3/4" just to keep the glass/acrylic piece in place and constant gap.
An old school mod for those skimmers is ditching the outlet wedge pipe and use a gate valve to control the water level and flow inside the skimmer

Okay, skimmer looks to be a ASM G2. It is 21" tall 6 1/2" dia. body with a 3,500 pump. I read that it typically likes approx. 9" of water. I will set the first baffle up 3/4" and leave 3/4" space at the top for overflow issue? Second baffle is flush to bottom of tank and how tall?
Thanks guys!

Back