Cali Kid Corals

Peter's Garage Tank

Your parameters look fine why are you dosing? I use Kal to balance the lower pH my calcium reactor makes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 - Picked up a good quality float valve with magnetic switches
2 - I stirred the bucket good after adding the Kalk

Am I ok?
Kalk don't stay saturated in water reason a lot use a reactor or stirrer. Maybe have a small powerhead turn on once every hour for 5min?

Last edited:
Your parameters look fine why are you dosing? I use Kal to balance the lower pH my calcium reactor makes.

And I have been just dumping two part in every morning a cup of one and a cup of the other and I figured Kalk makes it so much easier plus there's a lot of other benefits?

Ok topping off with kalk is good. Just gotta watch your parameters and also make sure it's well mixed. The kalk on the bottom are usually sand. I dump out my kalk reactor every 3-4 weeks and add new kalk to the reactor.

I am new to the Kalk, but what I read said to get the parameters perfect and then use Kalk to maintain those levels without getting PH too high.
It easily over dose on kalk. I would run few failsafe. I have a peralstaltic and solenoid to shut it if pH goes crazy.

Will it work - sure. Just make sure to stir the kalk solution once in a while.
Can you make it much more complicated and expensive - you bet!

FYI: If it is not adding enough Ca/Alk, look at adding Vinegar to it.

Will it work - sure. Just make sure to stir the kalk solution once in a while.
Can you make it much more complicated and expensive - you bet!

FYI: If it is not adding enough Ca/Alk, look at adding Vinegar to it.
Do you mean if I can't get the calcium and alkalinity high enough without raising the pH?

Do you mean if I can't get the calcium and alkalinity high enough without raising the pH?
That, or simply not having enough top off water volume to keep up, in case you have a lot of SPS.
Vinegar both reduces PH and allows you to saturate more Kalk.
And it adds Carbon dosing.

That, or simply not having enough top off water volume to keep up, in case you have a lot of SPS.
Vinegar both reduces PH and allows you to saturate more Kalk.
And it adds Carbon dosing.
Cool! I will read up on that. Just ordered a digital ph meter. These darn test kits are so hard to decipher which shade the reading actually is. And dont get me started on the mag. test, I feel like I am a "mad scientist" creating some kind of vaccine.

And I have been just dumping two part in every morning a cup of one and a cup of the other and I figured Kalk makes it so much easier plus there's a lot of other benefits?

Yeah, I'm also a bit confused by why you're dosing kalk if 2-part is maintaining your parameters just fine at the levels you want. The two will accomplish the same thing. Most people will start with kalk when their alk/cal requirements are low enough for kalk to replenish what is used up and move to 2-part when kalk can no longer keep up with the demand.

Kalk is also used in conjunction with a carx for upping ph, but that's not the situation here.

So dosing Kalk is not a good idea?

It's not that it's not a good idea. Doing both methods probably doesn't make much sense. I may have missed it somewhere, but are you looking to keep doing both? Or switching exclusively to using kalk? If it's the latter, then that's ok.

Back