got ethical husbandry?

Peter's Garage Tank

Ok, put all the rock I pulled into a big bucket and added 2 1/2 gallons of vinegar and topped off with fresh water. I will let them soak overnite, hose them off real good and repeat.

Rock has been hosed off and is in a fresh vinegar bath. A lot of bubbling going on. Will let it sit til this afternoon then rinse again and fill the bucket with old tank water.

The bubbling is probably your calcium carbonate (live rock), coralline algae, and other calcarious desirable components dissolving. As opposed to macroalgae.

The bubbling is probably your calcium carbonate (live rock), coralline algae, and other calcarious desirable components dissolving. As opposed to macroalgae.
Yup, it is very acidic. Really hated to kill the live rock but it was the only way to curb the macro. Even though the macro is not melting, there is no way it will survive?

Yup, it is very acidic. Really hated to kill the live rock but it was the only way to curb the macro. Even though the macro is not melting, there is no way it will survive?

Some plants thrive on acidic conditions. I have no idea if algae does, but if you want to kill it for sure, bleach will do that.

Everything looks good except for this. It looked fine yesterday and everything else looks good
D258B05E-5223-4701-82BE-54298CDA5C0A.jpeg

I dont know if it can spread too much. But will keep an eye on it. Maybe when I was ripping apart the tank something was stinging it?

Well today is the one year anniversary of starting our garage reef. It has been a great year and we have learned a ton! We started with one "newbie" tank and now have a whole system filled to the brim with livestock. Thanks to everyone that helped us get on track and supported us!! As we look towards our second year, I am going to work on seeing how healthy I can get these reefs. I just placed an order for our first ZEOvit products. We ordered some Flatworm Stop. Even though we DON'T have aefw, it is suppossed to make the corals healthier by promoting a slime coat and increase encrusting and polyp extension. We also ordered a bottle of their Coral Booster which enhances coloration, growth and immune response and is recommended to use while using FWS. This stuff is not cheap so I hope it lives up to its hype.
Cheers! Mark
thumbnail.jpeg
thumbnail.jpeg

Nope, So far we have pulled about 400 kwh out of our usage. I changed our service from "tiered" to "time of use" and just pulled about 25% time out of the reef lighting. Wed. our turtle moves to Los Banos which means I can unplug his basking lights which run for 15 hours a day. We are headed in the right direction.
Cheers! Mark

Good to hear. I've had my fair share of cringe moments on the electric bill myself, one reason why I decided that a 375g reef tank with 270g sump was not going to work. Since PG&E declares how much electricity we can use, and being in San Francisco we are "supposed" to use much less electricity. But no need to get a soapbox over that rant

While there are other variables to take into account, basically I just looked at previous bills and the amount we paid for electricity this time of year compared to the current bill.

Back