Our mission

Phoebe's 14 gal BioCube

One other thought on the missing Zoa's is a crab. Been checking the tank after lights out and haven't seen anything yet.

Yesterday added a Six Line Wrasse to the tank. Thanks Adolfo.

Yikes! If it is not anything obvious, then I would wait for night after the tank light have been off for a bit, then look in there with a flash light to catch the culprit. Good luck!

Yesterday morning the rest of the Xenia was gone |(
I have been checking the tank using a red light and see nothing that isn't suppose to be there. I have one Hermit Crab that is much bigger than the rest that in each of these cases was in the immediate vicinity of the attack. Yesterday I removed him to eliminate it as a cause. Whatever it is it is big enough to eat 2/3 of a fairly large Xenia in one night.

Sorry for the Xenia loss.

It tends to grow like weeds, so I'm sure someone in the club would have some extra they would like to get rid of. :)

BTW, are the hermits getting enough food? If they are not, you could supplement them. I throw sinking pellets or dried seaweed in for mine periodically.

A couple new corals: Kenya Tree and my first & only SPS.
Last week we took in our Gold Head Sleeper Goby. He was a great fish and fun to watch. He just made such a mess with his sand sifting, always burying the corals placed on the sand. Phoebe, from the start, wanted a Clown fish, so we picked up a Black Clown. Phoebe usually (ultimately) gets what she wants. Little girls and their Dads--------

Tank parameters before weekly water change: Ca - 480 ppm, KH – 9, Phosphate – 0, Nitrate – 20 ppm, pH – 8.4, Salinity – 1.024

Received 2 DBTC from Jeff. Will post pictures later.

Attached files /attachments/sites/default/files/Black Clown 4-26-09.JPG /attachments/sites/default/files/Kenya Tree 4-26-09.JPG /attachments/sites/default/files/SPS 4-26-09.JPG

I love the black clown. :)

I also love six lines... They are especially good at keeping down pests too, but be careful with adding other wrasses/similar fish in the future. Sixlines are really mean buggers.

Haven't posted in a while, other things getting in the way, but I am back. Phoebe's tank is doing great. Thinking of starting up a new one, 50 + gals ---

FTS
Update12-26-09.jpg

Australian War Coral
WarCoral12-26-09-1.jpg

Zoas and Rics
Zoas12-26-09.jpg

Superman Shrooms
SupermanShroom12-26-09.jpg

Candy Cane
CandyCane12-26-09.jpg

Purple Shrooms
BlueShroom12-26-09.jpg

Green Shrooms & Birds Nest
BirdsNestGreenShroom12-26-09.jpg

Looks like everything is thriving, keep up the good work. Keep in mind that you have a lot of corals that proliferate quickly and can take over your rocks; green palys, daisy, xenia, mushrooms and kenya trees. An upgrade to 50 would give you a lot more possibilities, but keep in mind how much corals spread and take over so you don't run out of space for new stuff down the road.

Hey Rick - Nice set up! hows the evaporation rate on the tank?

If you need help with the 55 let me know- so i can learn! :bigsmile:

Eight said:
I also love six lines... They are especially good at keeping down pests too, but be careful with adding other wrasses/similar fish in the future. Sixlines are really mean buggers.

Any fish, not just ones that look like them or wrasses. They can become very territorial and will kill fish much larger them them. IMO they'r only good as a lone fish in a frag prop tank.

GreshamH said:
Eight said:

Any fish, not just ones that look like them or wrasses. They can become very territorial and will kill fish much larger them them. IMO they'r only good as a lone fish in a frag prop tank.

I got the wrasse mainly to keep the little critters under control, which it does an excellent job of. If anything the clown chases the wrasse and gets to the food first. I did have a shrimp (no longer with us) that the wrasse would harass.

Marc said:
Hey Rick - Nice set up! hows the evaporation rate on the tank?

If you need help with the 55 let me know- so i can learn! :bigsmile:

The BioCube has a cover and I have the stock lights, so evaporation is almost non-existent.
I am still in the planning mode for the 55 gal. I need to decide on tank, lights, sump / refugium, protein skimmer, ?????????? I will probably need lots of help from the group, because I would like to do this right the first time.

Did a couple mods today.

Received a package from In tank yesterday.
InTank2-5-10.jpg

Purchased a Media Basket, Double Underwater Light and Fish Saver Guard.
InTankStuff2-5-10.jpg

Installed the Media Basket today. Added Macro Algae to the bottom chamber with the Double Light, placed charcoal & Power-Phos to the middle chamber, and filter floss in the top chamber. Had some Macro Algae left over so placed it in the main tank.

Also, replaced both compact fluorescent lights (haven't done it in about 1 year).

Very pretty! :) Where did you find those green mushrooms? They look very nice!

I just bought the intank double submersible light as well. The media rack was waaaay too expensive, so I skipped that. $45 for a rack... I can make one myself for half the cost, maybe less. Hah...
Finding the intank website was a PIA though.

Thanks for the tip! :)

JeremiahChua said:
Very pretty! :) Where did you find those green mushrooms? They look very nice!

I plan on fragging them soon and adding them to the DBTC program.
They do reproduce quickly. I am finding them all over my tank.

Back