Jestersix

Phosphate Testing?

I have been testing for Phosphates with the Elos PO4 test kit but am not really happy with it. The value is hard to read and the range and sensitivity doesn't match what I would expect for reef testing, ie. the gap between "A-OK" and "certain doom" is one unit.

Anyone have a test that they really like for phosphates? Ideally under $0.50 cents per test.

My nature is always to trust a machine so I'm also curious about Hanna Checker Phosphate PO4 Colorimeter. Also referenced in this thread two years ago is this much more expensiveHanna Phosphate Photometers. The photometer is entirely of my price range but the colorimeter at $45 seems like a reasonable alternative to chemical testing.

Is the Colorimeter sufficient? Any advantage to the more expensive unit?

P.S.-- I'm never getting any snails larger than an Astrea again. Big suckers die and pollute the tank with huge amounts of phosphate.

Hanna HI-736 is the one to get.

It works great IMO.

See this thread...
http://www.bareefers.org/home/node/12097

Oops, google doesn't rank that thread as high as the other ones in my "Phosphate site:bareefers.org" search. Another link will help. :)

Thanks for the info. It looks like a Hanna HI-736 is a great choice.

bondolo said:
I have been testing for Phosphates with the Elos PO4 test kit but am not really happy with it. The value is hard to read and the range and sensitivity doesn't match what I would expect for reef testing, ie. the gap between "A-OK" and "certain doom" is one unit.

Anyone have a test that they really like for phosphates? Ideally under $0.50 cents per test.

My nature is always to trust a machine so I'm also curious about Hanna Checker Phosphate PO4 Colorimeter. Also referenced in this thread two years ago is this much more expensiveHanna Phosphate Photometers. The photometer is entirely of my price range but the colorimeter at $45 seems like a reasonable alternative to chemical testing.

Is the Colorimeter sufficient? Any advantage to the more expensive unit?

P.S.-- I'm never getting any snails larger than an Astrea again. Big suckers die and pollute the tank with huge amounts of phosphate.
Astreas are useless IMO... they can not right themselves if they fall. Trochus are the bee knees!!

Back