Jestersix

Photo Tank for your corals

kinetic

Supporting Member
I was talking to Jim and Roy the other day after the BAR meeting while hanging out at Aquatic Collection, and was thinking about a good setup for Jim's new place for taking pictures.

I have a couple ideas, and was hoping others could/would chime in with what they've done as well.
  • Dedicated tank just for pictures
    Holding tanks already setup for pictures

So a dedicated tank would be good because you can isolate each coral. Giving it a black or white background to blow out any surrounding detail, to concentrate on the coral itself. The tank would have a 45 degree or so angled front piece, while a nice array of t5's lit above at the opening. The tank could be hooked up to the other systems so the water is optimal and will be less stressful when moving the coral. Then when taking the picture, shut off all flow for a few minutes, and snap with the lens flush against the front. This will provide for a pretty good macro or further away shot. The distance needs to be optimal for 1:1 magnification at least, so we can pull back a bit to get overall shots as well.

Holding tanks would provide that the corals don't get too stressed moving from tank to tank for a shot. And you don't have to move them. This requires that there's enough room between the lights above,a nd the coral below, for a camera to squeeze in there, also taking account a person who needs to look through. Given the camera has live view, and the mount has a horizontal adapter, you could just attach an acrylic box around the lens to penetrate the surface. The lights will need to be covering enough area so that the camera doesn't shadow the coral. Not that great IMO.

Anyway, just some thoughts. I'll probably help Jim out with all of this too, since his shop will be so close =) Let's get some more ideas in here!

CPR makes what you are looking for :) It's not listed on their website, I'll email Russ and get the specs.

Back