Photos from Indonesian Borneo & Taiwan

Discussion in 'Photography' started by lattehiatus, May 3, 2013.

1. I am not a good photographer to begin with, and the dive photos were taken with a basic point-and-shoot underwater camera, so there is nothing particularly noteworthy here. Just thought I'd share some of the things seen on the trip.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Taiwan/PICT0163Small_zps6bd4713f.jpg" alt=""/>
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Videos

2. tankguy

tankguy Vice President

Still some nice shots David. Hope you had a blast

3. Kensington Reefer

Kensington Reefer Supporting Member

Well done sir!!

4. It was a little dismaying to see all the colors washed out in the underwater photographs - really doesn't do any justice to the subjects!

5. gimmito

gimmito Supporting Member

Nice pics...thanks for sharing David !

6. BayReefer415

BayReefer415 Guest

Very nice!

7. Apon

Apon Volunteer

are those baby sea turtles in some bin?

8. [​IMG]

Mother turtles come up to the beach regularly on the island of Sangalaki. The eggs are collected and artificially incubated, resulting in hundreds of baby sea turtles. I couldn't understand my dive guide well, since I only speak enough Indonesian to order a few basic dishes, but I got the impression they are released into the ocean at a certain age. Turtle eggs are a delicacy, and it's nice to see ongoing conservation efforts.

9. Kmooresf

Kmooresf Supporting Member

Very cool David, thanks for sharing. Now I REALLY have the itch to go diving. ;)

10. Thales

Thales Past President

Nice David!

Where did you end up going? That river shot looks familiar.
    If you like I can show you some easy ways to get them to be un washed out.

11. jellygeee

jellygeee Guest

Awesome pics, thanks for sharing, David.
    Yes, turtle eggs & meat are considered delicacy in Indo (local tradition as well). Nice to see the effort that government in doing to sustain the population.

12. Reef Keeper

Reef Keeper Guest

13. Thanks for the kind words, everyone! It was a fun trip and I definitely want to do more adventures in the South Pacific, and I got a few tips about good dive spots off Taiwan.

Kris, definitely go diving, and more importantly, take me with you! :D

Rich, that would be huge if you could teach me some postprocessing tricks! The river photo was taken on speedcanoe en route to Kutai National Park, a wild orangutan preserve, in East Kalimantan. The dives were at the Derawan archipelago.

Rudy, have you tried turtle egg and/or meat? If so, any thoughts on how to describe it?

14. xulio

xulio Supporting Member

Nice vacation David! I’d love to chat about your trip next time we meet.

Julio

15. JAR

JAR Supporting Member

looks like a great trip :)

16. jellygeee

jellygeee Guest

David: No, probably will never try it at all. I usually will ask for details of the food that I'm going to eat first. Plus my Wife loves turtles, so I can't imagine us tasting one.

OT: I almost ordered a whale meat in Osaka, Japan had I not asked what it is. I understand the local customs and cultures, so I have no issues with what they eat.

On your trip to East Kalimantan, you are going to the Indo side (not the Malaysia side, right). Are you going there thru a special chartered boat (i.e. by the Navy) or just regular tour boat? My knowledge might be outdated =)

17. denzil

denzil Webmaster

Thanks for the pictures, David! It's really cool to see the clowns in their natural habitat. :)

18. Not speaking Bhasa Indonesia really held me back, since there was so little information in English on Indo East Kalimantan. On travel blogs, there were several accounts of folks taking public buses, but also accounts of burning a day because the buses were just not running that day, because the bus stop had changed without any indication, etc. If I had a few weeks of vacation I might be tempted to try that (and never again curse Muni or AC Transit), but with the limited time everything was chartered in advance through private contractors - vans, speed boat, dive boat, etc.

It sounds like you've been to East Kalimantan? When was your last trip and what did you do there?

19. I spent way too much dive time fixated on clownfish. It is almost as if I have an unhealthy fascination with them. :bigsmile: