Jestersix

Picasso Clown pair spawn

Some folks start sprinking in a little TDO-A beginning around 4 or 5 DPH - it takes a while for the larvae to recognize it as food. IME the larvae are more accepting of prepared foods if there are no rotifers to distract them, or shortly after the lights first come on when they are hungrier.

6 days of relentless fun already - congratulations! :D

Typically our customers report feeding TDO-A at 3- 5 DPH, and wean off rotifers at around 10 DPH. The ones I have spoken to regarding the cross over have said they found it critical to keep rotifers in there for the stragglers. No one mentioned larvae being more willing to accept prepared feeds from the removal of rotifers.

FWIW many also feel the larvae are not eating the A but rather the edition of it conditions the larvae to the feed (via smell). I wouldn't expect them to be eating much of A, its the size of a rotifer minus any bio cues or movement for attraction.

In the middle of writing this, I jumped over and spoke with a fellow RMI employee who worked at a major clown hatchery in the US. He concurred with everything I said and added they feed very small amounts of the smallest feeds jut to get the smell in there at first, and that A size isn't being eaten.

Fascinating about conditioning the larval feeding response through smell!

In anecdotes from amateur breeders, many are feeding only enough rotifers that will be depleted within a certain period of time. I usually target 4 to 6 hours, so that I can replenish with rotifers being gut-loaded with a mixture of microalgae instead of only Nannochloropsis in the larval greenwater. It always seemed to me that the larvae chase after TDO-A more when it is introduced between batches of rotifers, compared to when there are already rotifers present. Nice to know that it probably does not matter.

Ahh, see, those how work with dated protocols such as using Nanno as their greenwater are stuck enriching. :)

Join the 21st century and use a better greenwater.. RotiGreen ;) We'll have the APBreed version out as soon as I can finish the new label design for RGcomplete, SDaquarist and RGreen.

Just busting your chops at any rate, Nanno makes a fine greenwater when the alternative isn't available for users that can't go through a liter in 4 months (or is it 6?)

Either I get flak at home for adding a liter of frozen RotiGreen to a freezer that is already half filled with fish food, or I get flak for using antiquated larvae rearing techniques. The choice is clear - I don't enjoy sleeping in the doghouse! ;)

I will be among the first to purchase a bottle of RGreen when it is available, and huzzah for SD being made available through the APBreed line!

lattehiatus said:
Either I get flak at home for adding a liter of frozen RotiGreen to a freezer that is already half filled with fish food, or I get flak for using antiquated larvae rearing techniques. The choice is clear - I don't enjoy sleeping in the doghouse! ;)

I will be among the first to purchase a bottle of RGreen when it is available, and huzzah for SD being made available through the APBreed line!

If you want to use a greenwater that gives you non-enriched rotifers, feel free :)
Rotifers empty their guts in ~two hours so what ever the greenwater is, is what they are delivering to the larvae ;) Nanno sucks as a nutritional profile for larvae.

spawn and hatch posted to MBI
http://www.mbisite.org/Forums/tm.aspx?high=&m=80522&mpage=1#80527
Latest pic
photobucket-5088-1362503036213.jpg

Latest count is 8

BAYMAC said:
lattehiatus said:

If you want to use a greenwater that gives you non-enriched rotifers, feel free :)
Rotifers empty their guts in ~two hours so what ever the greenwater is, is what they are delivering to the larvae ;) Nanno sucks as a nutritional profile for larvae.

Just waiting for the label to be done on RGreen so I can finally be ushered into the 21st century! What's taking so long? ;)

9 out of 10 amateur breeders agree that not only has Reed Mariculture made it easier than ever to breed marine fishes, the instant algaes are also relationship savers. :bigsmile:

JAR said:
spawn and hatch posted to MBI
http://www.mbisite.org/Forums/tm.aspx?high=&m=80522&mpage=1#80527

Way to represent BAR at MBI! 8)

Back