Jestersix

Picts of the $200 Pistol shrimp

He's eaten about $200 of livestock and hitched a ride on coral from the Indonesia area.

Dunno what kind he is, but he has a blue spot on the center of his head righ behind his eyes, and has a reddish brown color to him. Cant see the spot from my cell phone picts but you get the idea of what he looks like. He's about 1" maybe a bit bigger.

phot%5B1%5D.jpg

phot%5B2%5D.jpg

phot%5B3%5D.jpg

photo.jpg

Hi, I was just discussing the issue of whether pistol shrimp kill fish today--I have a red "japanese" pistol shrimp in my tank. I love the guy but wondering if he could be killing fish. I have several happy long time fish in my tank but whenever I've gotten new fish some of them disappear without a trace. I know all fish won't survive the switch to my tank but I was surprised when I had 2 sunburst anthias--i acclimated them really slow; they stayed alive for a couple days and i saw one of them even start to eat...but within 48 hours they both disappeared. I've also had other fish i put in the tank swim into the rocks never to be seen again. I thought it was the bright light freaking them out and they died of fright (my water conditions are excellent) but i dunno i always wondered if ol' "Pistol Pete" (is what I call mine) got a hold of them. I know there's no way to know for sure, but these guys, even at 1-2" long will kill fish? I thought they were "reef safe"??

What fish did this one kill in your tank and how do you know he was the culprit?

Also, how the hell did you catch him?! Please tell! :-D

Back