Our mission

Pictures of cuttlefish at ocean Treasure.Corals too

nash

Saw a cool cuttlefish at OT today. Worth going down to take a look. It seem to have a real personality to it. I also took a few picture of the coral in stock. Nice deep water and efflow .

BTW :mention you saw the pictures and get 10% off.
I was planning to take the kids down but then I'll ending up get one too(this one is sold $176 but I hear the buyer(not Me) may resell for $300) Hmmm.... maynot be a bad idea. Honey, the kids want this cute cuttlefish but I had to get a bubblemaster skimmer to keep it alive. :D

Nice pictures.

Rich would have the definitive answer as to what kind of cuttle it is. With my limited knowledge I would make a passing guess as a flamboyant.

[quote author=Raddogz link=topic=2007.msg19452#msg19452 date=1177455773]
Nice pictures.

Rich would have the definitive answer as to what kind of cuttle it is. With my limited knowledge I would make a passing guess as a flamboyant.
[/quote]
I think you maybe right.If not it sure fits.. :)

flamboyant are probably the only cuttlefish with that dark black/tan coloration. though again, rich is the expert on that.

If I had known it would be that easy to buy one I would've setup a tank for it already =X

don't these flamboyants like cooler waters around the low 70's?

[quote author=kinetic link=topic=2007.msg19467#msg19467 date=1177456774]
flamboyant are probably the only cuttlefish with that dark black/tan coloration. though again, rich is the expert on that.[/quote]

There are two species of flamboyant - that looks like a male pfefferi, but without seeing it or knowing where it was collected it could also be tullbergi.

If I had known it would be that easy to buy one I would've setup a tank for it already =X

It isn't that easy. This is the first one I have seen for sale alive in the US in two years.

Nope. :D

<rant>This situation is a little annoying though even though the story is all based on hearsay. I called OT last week to get it when I heard about it and they said it was sold, now the guy who bought it, but hasn't picked it up is going to try to resell it for twice the price? If true, what a tool. Meanwhile, this animal that requires specialized care that most are unable to give, and is, according to recent unpublished research, toxic and poisonous, in languishing in a fish store. OT told me the wholesaler they got it from called them about it because they thought OT would be able to care for it and get it to someone who could keep it alive. Instead, someone is just trying to make money by marking up the mark up. Its depressing that an animal that may be endangered and almost never makes it alive to the states is sitting somewhere because it was sold to someone who only seems to want to try to resell it for profit (prolly to someone who doesn't know what they are doing) when I, and a couple of other people in the area, have a ceph only systems with space for the animal. Grr. Plus, that looks like an older adult animal an it will prolly only live for a couple/few of months. </rant>

If someone has an in with OT, please see if you can get them to get it to me or to someone who can keep it alive. :D

Anyway, :D here is a link to the movie of the flamboyant I had a couple years ago.

http://www.stickycricket.com/aquarium/movies/metasepia.html

Just a quick note on keeping cephs in general - they aren't an animal to be purchased lightly. They are notorious for only accepting copious amounts of live food, the do best is species only tanks, they don't like bright light (so you cant just plop one into a reef tank..well I guess you can, but you won't see it! :D ), they ship badly, and they generally only live a year naturally so if you get an adult animal, its live is prolly 1/2 over already.

If you are interested in keeping one, please browse my site www.daisyhillcuttlefarm.com or www.tonmo.com. Keeping them isn't impossible, I just think they deserve extra attention before purchase.

Animals like 'zebra' octopus and flamboyants should, IMO be kept by people with ceph experience because the status of these animals in the wild is unknown (should they even be collected at all?) and we really don't know all that much about their husbandry.

[quote author=Thales link=topic=2007.msg19478#msg19478 date=1177461053]
[quote author=kinetic link=topic=2007.msg19467#msg19467 date=1177456774]
flamboyant are probably the only cuttlefish with that dark black/tan coloration. though again, rich is the expert on that.[/quote]

There are two species of flamboyant - that looks like a male pfefferi, but without seeing it or knowing where it was collected it could also be tullbergi.

It isn't that easy. This is the first one I have seen for sale alive in the US in two years.

Nope. :D

<rant>This situation is a little annoying though even though the story is all based on hearsay. I called OT last week to get it when I heard about it and they said it was sold, now the guy who bought it, but hasn't picked it up is going to try to resell it for twice the price? If true, what a tool. Meanwhile, this animal that requires specialized care that most are unable to give, and is, according to recent unpublished research, toxic and poisonous, in languishing in a fish store. OT told me the wholesaler they got it from called them about it because they thought OT would be able to care for it and get it to someone who could keep it alive. Instead, someone is just trying to make money by marking up the mark up. Its depressing that an animal that may be endangered and almost never makes it alive to the states is sitting somewhere because it was sold to someone who only seems to want to try to resell it for profit (prolly to someone who doesn't know what they are doing) when I, and a couple of other people in the area, have a ceph only systems with space for the animal. Grr. Plus, that looks like an older adult animal an it will prolly only live for a couple/few of months. </rant>

If someone has an in with OT, please see if you can get them to get it to me or to someone who can keep it alive. :D

Anyway, :D here is a link to the movie of the flamboyant I had a couple years ago.

http://www.stickycricket.com/aquarium/movies/metasepia.html

[/quote]
Hi Rich
I don't think the guy is planning to resell it.I ask James(manager) if the new owner who purchased it knew what it takes to keep one.I was told the new owner has had cuttlefish before and knew about the care needed and had a tank setup for it. James mention to me if someone offered $300 maybe the new owner who part with it.Anyway James was half kidding about the offer price. Yeah it's been there for about a week and not sure why it hasn't been picked up.I just don't want anyone to think bad of James and OT. If I paid $176 for a cuttlefish I would make sure I had the right setup for it.

Saw the show on Nova the other night and it had cuttles as the topic, the last part of it talked about the Flamboyant as well, and did mention that their skin was toxic, in a fact a completely different compound than other toxic cephs (all two of them?)

[quote author=sfsuphysics link=topic=2007.msg19517#msg19517 date=1177504214]
Saw the show on Nova the other night and it had cuttles as the topic, the last part of it talked about the Flamboyant as well, and did mention that their skin was toxic, in a fact a completely different compound than other toxic cephs (all two of them?)

[/quote]

Cephy people are being very careful with that as the Nova program is the only place this has been said in public. :D

[quote author=nash link=topic=2007.msg19515#msg19515 date=1177482877]Hi Rich
I don't think the guy is planning to resell it.[/quote]

Thats very different from what you first wrote! :D

I ask James(manager) if the new owner who purchased it knew what it takes to keep one. I was told the new owner has had cuttlefish before and knew about the care needed and had a tank setup for it.

Great! Weird that it hasn't been picked up yet, but I am sure there is an explanation.

James mention to me if someone offered $300 maybe the new owner who part with it. Anyway James was half kidding about the offer price.

Again, very different from what you originally wrote! :D

Yeah it's been there for about a week and not sure why it hasn't been picked up.I just don't want anyone to think bad of Jame and OT.

Then be careful that you report situations correctly! :D

If I paid $176 for a cuttlefish I would make sure I had the right setup for it.

You would be surprised at the amount of people who pay that much or more for animals but really don't know what they are getting into. Its one thing to read that they need lots of live shrimp and crab, its another thing to face the reality of what that actually is like in terms of expense and time. :D When zebra octos show up, they usually cost 300-300 bucks, are most often bought by people who have no idea what they are doing but want a cool looking animal. Same for flamboyants. Sadly, these animals often don't do well or live long enough for people who impulse buy them to catch up to their husbandry needs.

Just to be clear, I don't want OT to find another one for me, but I might be interested in one that arrived at an LFS by serendipity. :D

[quote author=Thales link=topic=2007.msg19521#msg19521 date=1177513884]
[quote author=nash link=topic=2007.msg19515#msg19515 date=1177482877]Hi Rich
I don't think the guy is planning to resell it.[/quote]

Thats very different from what you first wrote! :D

I ask James(manager) if the new owner who purchased it knew what it takes to keep one. I was told the new owner has had cuttlefish before and knew about the care needed and had a tank setup for it.

Great! Weird that it hasn't been picked up yet, but I am sure there is an explanation.

James mention to me if someone offered $300 maybe the new owner who part with it. Anyway James was half kidding about the offer price.

Again, very different from what you originally wrote! :D

Yeah it's been there for about a week and not sure why it hasn't been picked up.I just don't want anyone to think bad of Jame and OT.

Then be careful that you report situations correctly! :D

If I paid $176 for a cuttlefish I would make sure I had the right setup for it.

You would be surprised at the amount of people who pay that much or more for animals but really don't know what they are getting into. Its one thing to read that they need lots of live shrimp and crab, its another thing to face the reality of what that actually is like in terms of expense and time. :D When zebra octos show up, they usually cost 300-300 bucks, are most often bought by people who have no idea what they are doing but want a cool looking animal. Same for flamboyants. Sadly, these animals often don't do well or live long enough for people who impulse buy them to catch up to their husbandry needs.

Just to be clear, I don't want OT to find another one for me, but I might be interested in one that arrived at an LFS by serendipity. :D
[/quote]
Sorry if I was misleading in my 1st post.Just wanted to post some pictures of the cuttlefish. :) And won't do it again. ;D

[quote author=Thales link=topic=2007.msg19519#msg19519 date=1177512962]

[/quote]

Cephy people are being very careful with that as the Nova program is the only place this has been said in public. :D
[/quote]

But but they had a machine and everything that spat out a graph just like on CSI! :)

[quote author=sfsuphysics link=topic=2007.msg19525#msg19525 date=1177519484]
[quote author=Thales link=topic=2007.msg19519#msg19519 date=1177512962]

[/quote]

[/quote]

But but they had a machine and everything that spat out a graph just like on CSI! :)

[/quote]

Yah but did they show the graphics of the toxin working thru the bloodstream :)

Back