Pinpointing Fellow Reefers

Discussion in 'Wouldn't it be good if...?' started by Reef Keeper, Oct 27, 2013.

1. Reef Keeper

Reef Keeper Guest

Wouldn't it be great if our website could (group) Pin Points on Google Maps of Fellow Reefers that have their Location data field populated. For example, locate all BARs members in Pacifica or San Francisco. WDYT?

2. iCon

iCon Supporting Member

It's an online forum... No thanks.

3. WoodysReef

WoodysReef Guest

Thats kind of dangerous if would be cool if it pin pointed the city and told us how many reefers there was in the city but not exact locations

4. HiFidelity

HiFidelity Guest

I agree with the security concern, just look at the spam that slips past the gates when weird spam threads get posted.

Though for the sake of being able to have a quick idea where someone is for the sake of purchasing items or meeting to pick up DBTC pieces a map or list ONLY indicating what city a member is in would be very helpful.

5. rygh

rygh Supporting Member

There is already a field in members->information for location.
    That could probably be made optionally viewable to paying members.
    Or perhaps a new "public location" field could be added.

But agree ... be very careful with something like that.

6. iCon

iCon Supporting Member

A PM exchange is needed before any Sales/DBTC transaction. Location is probably part of that discussion :)

7. denzil

denzil Webmaster

Location is an optional field for us (BAR forum) and not everyone chooses to publicly display their addresses or locations so willingly. Some prefer more privacy than others. :)

8. Reef Keeper

Reef Keeper Guest

Privacy is paramount: I guess I didn't think it through, and the thought got convoluted by time my words made it onto the thread. I guess what I was trying to request was a way like denzil and rygh put it.

I'm trying to find a tank buddy near my zip code, so when I saw the optional space to list the city in my profile, I had hoped to do a search/ sort a member by their city; and that didn't work .

I guess, I'll need to make it to more of our events to stay better acquainted with others whom may reside closer to me here on the coastside. I think there are a couple of members in Pacifica, that I would like to meet sometime.

Thanks for reading my post and helping me to better articulate my interest in meeting a tank buddy :0)

Last edited: Nov 4, 2013
    HiFidelity and neuro like this.