High Tide Aquatics

Piper's 65 Gallon Tank

It's time. I've been putting this off just short of 2 years now. Over the last few months I have realized that I don't have a good history of the tank and I regretted procrastinating this for as long as I have. So here goes!

Current Set-up:
Tank - Standard 65 Gallon Aqueon with ginormous reef ready overflow.
Stand - Home built Cherry stand, canopy and side cabinet.
Lighting - 2 x Kessil A350 LEDs, 1 x 36" BuildMyLed Super Actinic XB LED Strip.
Sump - Eshopps ADV-200 w/ Quite One pump
Skimmer - AquaMaxx Cone In-Sump
Reactors - Duel BRS reactor for GFO and carbon
Flow - 2 x WP-25, 1 x WP-10
Controller - Reef Angel+
Top Off - Gravity fed from cabinet
Dosing - BRS Doser for Mag., 2 x Drew's Dosers for Alk and Cal.

Tank Info
I purchased the tank around April 2011. Spent the next few months making the stand. Finally put water in the tank around the middle of July 2011. Changed out various parts/pieces till I ended up with what you see listed above.

Here are some chronological pics I managed to scrape together up to this point.

Building the Stand

Pics from 2011-08-03

Pics from 2012-01-13

More pics to come! I ran out of time to upload pics tonight.

Charlie

Last edited:
Thanks for the comments! I just got it cleaned up and organized about a month ago. Up till then I had all those containers on the floor where the cabinet now sits and all the dosing pumps screwed into the wall. The cabinet definitely helped to improve the "wife factor". On top of that, now I have a great place to put a small 20" x 12"/16" frag tank when I find one :)

~Charlie

I'm home with sick kids today and had time to get the rest of the pics uploaded.

Link to album from 2012-03-03 [No full tank shots in this batch]

Brown w/ blue highlights stick acro I won at one of the BAR raffles.

(not so) Tyree blue chalice shortly after purchase

Shrimp/Goby pair

Blue/green acro (it really does look blue in the tank!) and Dori

Spike

Link to album from 2012-08-22
[Still no full tank shots in this batch]

DBTC brain coral that I picked up from lattehiatus that originally came from saltwatersig

Updated brown w/ blue highlights twig acro from above.

montipora setosa I think? Shortly after adding to the tank.

Still not so blue chalice from above.

Another brown stick acro. It really was reddish when I picked it up. (starting to get a pinkish hue to it today)

And finally the current pics:

Link to album from 2013-02-24

Tank, stand, canopy and cabiet

FTS

One of the first frags I put into the tank after getting it set up.

A frag I got from my Nephew about 4 months ago.

Here's the brown twig acro again

DBTC brain, forest fire monti, and shroom rock

And the now somewhat blue chalice!

The acan I picked up at the Diablo Corals frag swap last weekend

Here's the "red" acro again. The tips have a little pick to it now. It might even get that deep red color back before too long.

Denzil - I missed that rainbow acan! I passed up the LPS table on the first round and went straight to the SPS table.

mediumrare - I made it. I wanted it to match the stand and canopy and I made it to fit exactly in the space I had to maximize storage. I have the Sketchup file handy if you want to try to DIY.

Erin - This kids were sick today. I just stayed home and uploaded pics while there were miserable on the couch :)

Jess - Thanks! Many of those coral in there came from you.

~Charlie

Looks really good Charlie!! I may ask to use one or two of your ideas when it comes to the dosing pumps.... everything looks really good! Now I just gotta figure out how to fit something like that in my stand... rofl. ;)

Unfortunately the time has come. This tank, stand, and canopy (only) are for sale. If anyone is interested please PM for details. I will make a post in the Buy, Sell, Trade forum in the next couple of weeks.

p.s. Some of you know that I've been battling red bugs for a while now (a year??). I finally caught my pistol shrimp not quite 4 months ago and successfully treated the tank right after that with the dog meds. All the corals colored up right away and have been growing better than ever.

~Charlie

Back