Plate proprogation

Discussion in 'Propagation' started by Ibn, Feb 24, 2010.

1. Ibn

Ibn Supporting Member

While chatting with Norman last night, he convinced me to try an alternative means of propping plates without cutting them.

This all goes back to the prop plate, Fungia fralinae, that was placed into the swap. Norman noted that when the fully formed fungia grew to a decent size, it would pop off. What Norman found out was that as the plates popped off the skeleton, bits of tissue were left behind (as noted with actinic lights). Upon further research, Norman saw that it was a viable mean of proprogation.

So, to see how this works, I'm currently experimenting with a different plate, Diaseris fragilis.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This method is interesting in that it doesn't require cutting the plate and thereby change the shape. we'll find out in about a month or so how effective this is when I intend to remove the attachments.

2. boun11

boun11 Supporting Member

I will try the same thing on my fungia tonight after work. Eric is just a go-gether and he did this while we were all chatting with Norman about it last night! Go Eric!

3. Ibn

Ibn Supporting Member

Haha, thanks.

It was so easy and simple, I couldn't resist.

4. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics Supporting Member

Someone give me a plate so I can try it too :D

5. Gomer

Gomer Honorary Member

I'm going to get this guy rolling when I get home
    [​IMG]

6. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

Diaseris fragilis - you picked the easiest of all plates to do this with. Diaseris frag themselves even in shipping :lol:

I heard of another method besides this. Gotta ask if it's ok to talk about though.

7. Mr. Ugly

Mr. Ugly Past President

We need someone to do one where we remove a section of tissue and let it reorganize into a new plate.

8. Ibn

Ibn Supporting Member

Gotta start somewhere. Easiest one works the best; also the only plate in the tank. :D

9. boun11

boun11 Supporting Member

You should ask Ian for one to test it out ;) I have one plate too.

10. Ibn

Ibn Supporting Member

He can do the one that Norm mentioned above. :p

11. Vincerama2

Vincerama2 Evil Overlord

Does anyone remember years ago, shortly after BAR re-grouped, we had a frag session at ASAP? We did the most horrific things. The worst was taking a helio fungia and slicing it up into pie shapes with a tile cutter. I took a 2 pieces of it home thinking "No Way!" the were retracted into the skeleton. Well, they both are alive and well now, still not circular or oval shaped though. Slow grower, but I was/am amazed at how it survived the slicing and dicing.

V

12. GreshamH

GreshamH Guest

:lol: I do but it was several years after the re-organization :D

Problem with fracturing is it takes a long time to get the shape back.

13. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics Supporting Member

nothing wrong with an oval shape!

14. patrickb

patrickb Supporting Member

Along for the ride.

Since I missed the talk last night, what's the theory of what Eric is trying to do? Is he elevating the plate so that it droops down and starts breaking off pieces of its own skin, which then would turn into baby plates?

15. Ibn

Ibn Supporting Member

The theory is: plates have amazing regenerative abilities and can be proprogated using bits of tissue left behind (similar to pedal lacerations in mushrooms and anemones).

The elevation is due to the bits of discs attached to the plate underneath. What I'm trying to accomplish is to remove bits of tissue from the plate to form new ones.

Glue rubble to bottom of plate --> remove rubble after a bit of time --> hopefully have leftover tissue on the rubble to form new plates

16. iCon

iCon Supporting Member

Interested in this - Have a really bright, no-name orange one

17. Gomer

Gomer Honorary Member

Any update on plate propping?

18. houser

houser Past President

Preparing to prop the frisbee?

19. Gomer

Gomer Honorary Member

proping frisbees are always on my mind :-D

20. ryanjiang

ryanjiang Guest

How fast/slow do frisbees grow? I have never had one.