Our mission

Please help, I have Ich

I did quite possibly the dumbest thing I have ever done (the list is long). I bought two red headed gobies and a neon goby from the LFS today. Checked them out in the store and they all looked fat and happy. Came home and released them into my tank and all three have ich.

I guess I didn't see the ich under the store PCs, but my halides sure make them obvious.

So I have two clowns and a blenny in my display. I layed a fish trap to catch them. Should I now QT all my fish or just the new ones?

What is the best treatment for ich?

I suppose it would be wise to QT all of them if you can, but I would QT the three new fish at the least. If your existing fish were healthy and and all prior to adding the gobies, I wouldn't worry too much about them getting ich ... but that is just me.

I don't know how hardy the blenny is or what else you have in the tank but I got rid of my ich by slowly raising the temperature over 3 days to 86 degrees and keeping it there for 2 weeks. All my livestock is pretty bulletproof(clowns, cardinals, mushrooms, zoas, shrimps and snails) and of course you should do your research before attempting this yourself.

Thanks for the suggestions. I spent a few days trying to catch the fish in a fish trap, but all I got were my clowns. Don't know how my SPS would like the temp increase, might try it if I get desperate though. I am trying spectrum pellets soaked in garlic right now and will let you know how it goes.

Do not fret too much because if you try to do too much you will stress everything else out including yourself. I do major water changes everyday or so for 1-2 mo. Feed alot and often with variety of food. I keep my temp at 72 because of deepwater fish so I noticed ich do not replicate fast as 82. You will go thru the ich lifecycle slower.

Question about that one -- what if your fish doesn't like the food regardless? (not to hi-jack a thread, but this was along the same subject)
I have 2 Clowns and I just threw in a Flame Angel (Angel is beginning to show signs of ich)

2 Clowns will go for Spectrum Pellets, but will not touch mysis frozen shrimp
flame angel I suspect won't be eating anything I throw within a week or so since it has to feel more comfortable.

I've added 1 drop of Kent Marine C and 1 drop of Garlic Xtreme into 1 frozen Mysis Shrimp cube and let it melt until it's room temp as instructed, then chopped them up and threw it into my tank for feeding. Nothing eats it but my snails and my other shrimps.

Any way to train them into eating this stuff again? I also got nori that I tied to a piece of live rock, and nothings touching it either? How long should it stay in the tank before I should pull the nori out?

yeah I saw it eat at the store when they fed it.

I think it's a bit too soon though right? I just dropped the flame in on saturday -- dunno if he's comfortable yet. though, this is a stupid question and it should be the same as all fish, but how long would it take for it to become acclimated and eat?

my fish! it's teh eating!!!!!!! finally. I think I starved it into eating brine though. 1st day flame is out and about too -- still shy as heck, but it won't run from me. though it's still hanging in the cave

update, fishes are eating but not as much gusto as I thought -- they'll go for the food quick, take maybe 1-2 pellets, and eat some stuff from my baster -- but after about 1-2 bites they just stop. am I feeding too much or not enough or bad food?

I'm rotating between spectra thera+A pellets, mysis shrimp, brine shrimp, oceanic nutrition pellets. All of the food except the thera+A pellets are doused with marine C and garlic xtreme.

it's been an uphill battle -- the flame has beaten ich, but the clowns are somehow contracting it. My flame won't touch nori. strangest thing -- I see sicker fish go for nori without problems. I feed that stuff, the fish don't touch it.

Back