Kessil

Please ID this coral for me

I got this coral a while ago but I am not sure what it is can someone please ID it for me? TIA

Close up view
tomchalice1.jpg

I'll post the zoom out view soon

I think our round about point is, without known lineage, it could be anything. Chalice is about as good as you'll probably get. Some may say it looks like some other "named" coral.

Now..if you want to make a name for your unknown/unnamed piece, by all means :) That ends up being a marketing tool in the end. Give it a "cool" name like bubblegum eye nuclear plasma ultra psychedelic appleberry bomb and you'll be rolling big time! :p

Yea how does that work? Say you buy a named coral say purple hornet, forget who you get it from and forget it was called purple hornet, then you want to sell it so you name it zaxxon or something, wouldn't it still be a purple hornet if someone gets a frag/buys it from you and they know it is identical to purple hornet?

patchin said:
That first picture has to be one of the most awesome coral photos I've ever seen! Beautiful piece, Tom.

I wished that I can take credit for the photo but I can't :D Steve from Coralreefecosystems took it for me, he will come over sometime to teach me how to use my cannon to take pictures like that.

I think that is the "I belong in Bryan's tank chalice'".

I heard it only lives very specific temperatures and climate that are only found in a small area of Burlingame.

You should take it out of your tank right away and send it my way. Remember we are about ethical husbandry here. :)

I have good intel that says the livermore climate and proximity to regional wine does amazing things for it's growth and color.

GreshamH said:
Apon said:
I think ian might have that coral.....maybe he knows?

Odds are he does :lol:

Hahaha, I really can't tell. The first picture looks kind of like emerald mummy eye from the base color. The second picture looks like the miami hurricane from the base color. Both pictures don't really have the right eye color for either. So I have no clue.

seminolecpa said:
I think that is the "I belong in Bryan's tank chalice'".

I heard it only lives very specific temperatures and climate that are only found in a small area of Burlingame.

You should take it out of your tank right away and send it my way. Remember we are about ethical husbandry here. :)

Bryan, you know what is in my tank will eventually end up in your tank ... LOL

Iani, I am guessing mummy eye too because I have a piece of the hurricane and the base is a little more teal.

I wonder what is the different between the BGM and the mummy eye does anyone know? I've been away from the hobby for a couple of years so I need to play catchup :glasses:

Back