Neptune Aquatics

PLEASE RSVP - Jan. 12th - BAR Potluck & DIY LED Workshop @ 1:00pm

Great meeting! Stuffed us with good food, and the led workshop was a big hit with my boys.

Excellent game as well, go Niners!

Congratulations to the winners of the fixtures! Hopefully you remember who built them so you know who to find if the light catches on fire. :bigsmile:

RapidLED will be providing a discount code for BAR members to use on their webstore through the end of the month - stay tuned!

The potluck spread was phenomenal, as usual - great job, everyone! It was wonderful to see so many new and familiar faces.

Special thanks go out to the guys from RapidLED for the demonstrations, to Apon and coral reefer for providing the extra screwdrivers, and to goldielocke76 for the thorough cleaning that left every table and surface in the room spotless.

I've been nearly 30 years since I arrived in this country. And I've been missing out. Monkeybread is truly evil! Thanks Brandie for introducing me to it.

Yeah and as one who's been trying to get rid of the holiday weight gain... "thanks" Brandie :eyeroll:

One thing I forgot to ask with those drilled and tapped heatsinks, Wouldn't you want to put a little screw glue in each one too as I could see the heating and contractions perhaps working those screws out over time, which may allow the LED to pull away from the heatsink.

sfsuphysics said:
Yeah and as one who's been trying to get rid of the holiday weight gain... "thanks" Brandie :eyeroll:

One thing I forgot to ask with those drilled and tapped heatsinks, Wouldn't you want to put a little screw glue in each one too as I could see the heating and contractions perhaps working those screws out over time, which may allow the LED to pull away from the heatsink.
By screw glue, I'm assuming you're referring to Loctite?

I haven't decided what I'm going to do with my fixture. It's not nearly enough for my 40B but certainly overkill for my 10g. I guess I could just dim it down on the 10g.

I've had quite a bit of experience with small electronics like this, I would recommend that you don't use any loctite or any adhesive on the threads as it might make it very difficult to remove those small screws again in the future. Notice there were little transparent washers under each screw? those won't let it budge and they will absorb any expansion or contraction resulting from the heating & cooling of the metal parts.

Vibration is the typical cause of screws backing out rather than heat, which is why you find that loctite is very commonly used in cars.

FWIW
http://www.loctiteproducts.com/product_advisor/

loctite makes products for almost everything.
If you use one that is not designed to come loose you are gonna have trouble removing it.
There are loctite products designed to allow fasteners to come out when you need them to.
I don't know if it's not a bad idea to use the right loctite product.

Liked what you saw at the workshop and want your own fixture? The guys at RapidLED have generously provided a discount code for us.

BAR members can use the code "BAR10" to save 10% on all orders placed at the RapidLED webstore through the end of this month.

Back